RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS AIR FORCE BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS IN THE MATTER OF: DOCKET NUMBER: BC-2012-04741 COUNSEL: NONE HEARING DESIRED: NO ________________________________________________________________ APPLICANT REQUESTS THAT: His records be corrected to reflect he enlisted in the grade of airman first class (E-3), instead of airman basic (E-1). ________________________________________________________________ APPLICANT CONTENDS THAT: His college sent the wrong transcripts in support of his request to be enlisted in the higher grade. Upon completing basic military training (BMT), he reordered the transcripts and had them sent to his technical school to change his rank and pay. In support of his request, the applicant provides an expanded statement and copies his AF Form 938, Request and Authorization for Active Duty Training/Active Duty Tour; DD Form 1966/1, Record of Military Processing – Armed Forces of the United States; and DD Form 2807-1, Report of Medical History. The applicant’s complete submission, with attachments, is at Exhibit A. ________________________________________________________________ STATEMENT OF FACTS: The applicant is currently serving in the Air Force Reserve in the grade of airman first class (E-3). Under the provisions of AFRCI 36-2001, Air Force Reserve Recruiting Procedures, Table 5.1, Note 5: Documents presented after enlistment may be used as a basis for changing the authorized enlistment grade up until the individual’s BMT graduation date. Recruiter will advise applicant to obtain documents before enlistment. However, this policy will allow an applicant who is in the process of completing additional college classes, etc., that will qualify them for a higher grade, to have the opportunity to have their records updated to reflect the higher grade. The applicant initialed in the remarks section of the enlistment contract “NPS Without Proof of Education and Training, “I understand that if I present College Transcripts prior to my completion of Basic Military Training I may be eligible for enlistment in a higher grade. I elect to enlist in the grade of E-3 prior to the receipt of this document. I understand that I must present official documents to be awarded an increased grade after enlistment.” The remaining relevant facts pertaining to this application are contained in the letter prepared by the appropriate office of the Air Force, which is attached at Exhibit C. ________________________________________________________________ AIR FORCE EVALUATION: AFRC/RSOO recommends denial indicating there is no evidence of an error or an injustice. Enlistees initial the enlistment contract acknowledging they may be entitled to a higher rank, but chooses to enlist as an E-1. There is no documentation showing the applicant submitted transcripts prior to completing BMT. The BMT and Tech Training School have no record of receiving transcripts for the applicant. The applicant indicated on his application that his transcripts were not provided prior to him graduating from BMT in accordance with the requirements of the governing instruction. A complete copy of the AFRC/RSOO evaluation is at Exhibit B. ________________________________________________________________ APPLICANT'S REVIEW OF AIR FORCE EVALUATION: A copy of the Air Force evaluation was forwarded to the applicant on 14 Jan 13, for review and comment within 30 days. As of this date, no response has been received by this office. ________________________________________________________________ THE BOARD CONCLUDES THAT: 1. The applicant has exhausted all remedies provided by existing law or regulations. 2. The application was timely filed. 3. Insufficient relevant evidence has been presented to demonstrate the existence of an error or injustice. After careful consideration of applicant's request and the available evidence of record, we find insufficient evidence of error or injustice to warrant corrective action. The facts and opinions stated in the advisory opinions appear to be based on the evidence of record and have not been adequately rebutted by the applicant. Other than his own assertions, the applicant has provided no evidence to indicate that his failure to provide college transcripts was due to circumstances that were beyond his control. Absent persuasive evidence the applicant was denied rights to which he was entitled, appropriate regulations were not followed, or appropriate standards were not applied, we find no basis to disturb the existing record. ________________________________________________________________ THE BOARD DETERMINES THAT: The applicant be notified the evidence presented did not demonstrate the existence of material error or injustice; the application was denied without a personal appearance; and the application will only be reconsidered upon the submission of newly discovered relevant evidence not considered with this application. ________________________________________________________________ The following members of the Board considered AFBCMR Docket Number BC-2012-04741 in Executive Session on 9 Jul 13, under the provisions of AFI 36-2603: , Panel Chair , Member , Member The following documentary evidence was considered: Exhibit A. DD Form 149, dated 16 Sep 12, w/atchs. Exhibit B. Applicant's Master Personnel Records. Exhibit C. Letter, AFRC/RSOO, dated 12 Dec 12. Exhibit D. Letter, SAF/MRBR, dated 14 Jan 13.