RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS IN THE CASE OF: BOARD DATE: 24 April 2007 DOCKET NUMBER: AR20060013657 I certify that hereinafter is recorded the true and complete record of the proceedings of the Army Board for Correction of Military Records in the case of the above-named individual. Mr. Gerard W. Schwartz Acting Director Mr. Dean L. Turnbull Analyst The following members, a quorum, were present: Mr. William D. Powers Chairperson Mr. William F. Crain Member Mr. Dale E. DeBruler Member The Board considered the following evidence: Exhibit A - Application for correction of military records. Exhibit B - Military Personnel Records (including advisory opinion, if any). THE APPLICANT'S REQUEST, STATEMENT, AND EVIDENCE: 1. The applicant requests correction to her promotion effective date to major from 2 August 2001 to 8 May 2001. 2. The applicant states, in effect, that she was selected for promotion to major as a member of the U.S. Army Reserve while serving as an Internal Review Officer, a major's position. She states that she was assigned to a valid position at the 85th Training Support Division. She states that she did not receive her promotion until 2 August 2001. She further states that her other dates of promotion were in sync with her date of commission. Also, she has served her country and has held the position, so she should not be penalized for three months. 3. The applicant provides three copies of her Officer Evaluation Report (OER), a copy of her "My Records" assignment data, and a copy of her marriage certificate. CONSIDERATION OF EVIDENCE: 1. The applicant’s military records show that she was appointed in the Reserve as a second lieutenant effective 8 May 1987. 2. She was promoted to captain effective 25 May 1994 and to major effective   2 August 2001. 3. She is currently on active duty and assigned to the U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Alexandria with duty at the Defense Finance and Accounting Center, Indianapolis, Indiana. 4. On 27 June 2001, the major promotion board was approved and was released on 26 July 2001. 5. In a conversation between a staff member of the Board and a member from the Special Selection Promotion Board, U.S. Army Human Resources Command (USAHRC) St. Louis, Missouri, it was stated that the applicant was notified that she was not in compliance with the Army weight standards and she was not in a higher grade position by the promotion board release date of 26 July 2001. 6. A copy of this conversation was sent to the applicant for her response. On   19 April 2007, the applicant responded with an email in which she states "At the time when I should have been promoted I was completely eligible. Based on the information obtained in the telephone conversation from the Special Selection Promotion Branch the release [date] was 26 July 2001. I was promoted on   2 August 2001. I find it confusing as to why I was not eligible on the original date of my commission 8 May 1997. The difference between 26 July 2001 and   2 August 2001 is only 8 days." "I really appreciate it! I completed my ILE Phase 3 last June and was hoping to make the promotion list this September with my year group. I have served consecutively 24 years and enjoy helping soldiers!" 7. OERs that cover rating periods from 1 October 2001 to 30 September 2002 and from 1 October 2000 to 30 September 2001 shows the applicant's principal duty title was Auditor. The third OER that covers a rating period from 1 October 1999 to 30 September 2000 shows the applicant’s principal duty title was Transportation Officer. 8. The "My Record" assignment data provides no indication that the position the applicant was serving in was designated as a higher graded position. 9. Army Regulation 135-155 (Promotion of Commissioned Officers and Warrant Officers other than General Officers), prescribed the policies and procedures for promotion of Reserve officers. The regulation provides that an officer who has been recommended for promotion to the next higher grade must meet the requirements before being promoted in the Reserve Component. The officer must be in the zone of consideration, be medically qualified, have undergone a favorable security screening, meet standards of the Army Body Composition Program of Army Regulation 600-9 (The Army Weight Control Program), and be a satisfactory participant. 10. This regulation further specifies that officers selected for promotion will have a promotion effective date and date of rank no earlier than the approval date of the board, or the date the officer is assigned to the higher graded position. DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS: 1. The applicant was considered and selected for promotion to major by the 2001 Special Selection Promotion Board; however, according to a member of the Special Selection Promotion Board from USAHRC, the applicant was not in a higher grade position at the time of her selection and she did not meet the standards of the Army Body Weight Control Program as established by Army Regulation 600-9. 2. The evidence provided by the applicant is not sufficient to render a change in her effective date of promotion. The promotion list was approved on 27 June 2001 and was released on 26 July 2001. 3. Officers selected for promotion will have a promotion effective date and date of rank no earlier than the approval date of the board, or the date the officer is assigned to the higher graded position. Therefore, the applicant is not entitled to correction of her records to show 8 May 2001. The applicant's effective date of promotion as recorded in the memorandum for promotion is correct. BOARD VOTE: ________ ________ ________ GRANT FULL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT PARTIAL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT FORMAL HEARING ___ded__ ___wdp__ ___wfc___ DENY APPLICATION BOARD DETERMINATION/RECOMMENDATION: The evidence presented does not demonstrate the existence of a probable error or injustice. Therefore, the Board determined that the overall merits of this case are insufficient as a basis for correction of the records of the individual concerned. __________William D. Powers_______ CHAIRPERSON INDEX CASE ID AR20060013657 SUFFIX RECON YYYYMMDD DATE BOARDED 20070426 TYPE OF DISCHARGE (HD, GD, UOTHC, UD, BCD, DD, UNCHAR) DATE OF DISCHARGE YYYYMMDD DISCHARGE AUTHORITY AR . . . . . DISCHARGE REASON BOARD DECISION DENY REVIEW AUTHORITY ISSUES 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.