IN THE CASE OF: BOARD DATE: 21 November 2013 DOCKET NUMBER: AR20130004590 THE BOARD CONSIDERED THE FOLLOWING EVIDENCE: 1. Application for correction of military records (with supporting documents provided, if any). 2. Military Personnel Records and advisory opinions (if any). THE APPLICANT'S REQUEST, STATEMENT, AND EVIDENCE: 1. The applicant requests correction of items 19a (Mailing Address After Separation) and 19b (Nearest Relative) of his DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to reflect an address in Standish, ME, instead of Scarborough, ME. He also requests correction of his DD Form 214 to show award of the Army Commendation Medal. 2. He states his address is incorrect and the Army Commendation Medal he received after his discharge is not included on his DD Form 214. 3. He provides his DD Form 214, DA Form 638 (Recommendation for Award), and Army Commendation Medal Certificate. CONSIDERATION OF EVIDENCE: 1. The applicant enlisted in the Regular Army on 24 April 2006. His DD Form 4 (Enlistment/Reenlistment Document – Armed Forces of the United States) shows his home of record as Scarborough, ME. 2. He was honorably released from active duty on 20 August 2010. His DD Form 214 shows his mailing address after separation and the mailing address of his nearest relative as Scarborough, ME, in items 19a and 19b. His DD Form 214 does not show award of the Army Commendation Medal. 3. His service records are void of evidence which shows a mailing address in Standish, ME. 4. He provided an Army Commendation Medal Certificate, dated 17 September 2010, which shows he was awarded the Army Commendation Medal for meritorious service from 1 February 2007 to 20 August 2010 by Permanent Order Number 263-03 published by Headquarters, 593rd Sustainment Brigade, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, WA. 5. Army Regulation 635-5 (Separation Documents) prescribes the separation documents prepared for Soldiers upon retirement, discharge, or release from active military service or control of the Army. It establishes standardized policy for preparation of the DD Form 214. The instructions for preparing items 19a and 19b state that the information will be provided by the Soldier. The mailing address must be a permanent address. When the relative named in item 19b is at the same address as item 19a, the entry, "(NAME) AND ADDRESS SAME AS BLOCK 19A" will be entered in item 19b. The information in these items is used primarily when documents need to be forwarded to the Soldier immediately after separation. DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS: 1. The information in item 19a of the DD Form 214 is used primarily when documents need to be forwarded to the Soldier immediately after separation. Although the applicant contends his mailing address is incorrect, this information is provided by the Soldier. It does not appear that an error was made in item 19a of the applicant's DD Form 214 and that he actually lived at the requested address in Scarborough, ME, at the time he separated. Therefore, there is no basis for correcting items 19a and 19b of his DD Form 214. 2. Permanent orders show he was awarded the Army Commendation Medal; therefore, this medal should be added to his DD Form 214. BOARD VOTE: ____X___ ____X___ ___X__ _ GRANT FULL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT PARTIAL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT FORMAL HEARING ________ ________ ________ DENY APPLICATION BOARD DETERMINATION/RECOMMENDATION: 1. The Board determined the evidence presented is sufficient to warrant a recommendation for partial relief. As a result, the Board recommends that all Department of the Army records of the individual concerned be corrected by amending his DD Form 214 to add award of the Army Commendation Medal. 2. The Board further determined the evidence presented is insufficient to warrant a portion of the requested relief. As a result, the Board recommends denial of so much of the application that pertains to amending items 19a and 19b of his DD Form 214 to reflect a mailing address in Standish, ME. _______ _ X ______ ___ CHAIRPERSON I certify that herein is recorded the true and complete record of the proceedings of the Army Board for Correction of Military Records in this case. ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20130004590 3 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1 ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20130004590 2 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1