IN THE CASE OF: BOARD DATE: 13 March 2014 DOCKET NUMBER: AR20130011260 THE BOARD CONSIDERED THE FOLLOWING EVIDENCE: 1. Application for correction of military records (with supporting documents provided, if any). 2. Military Personnel Records and advisory opinions (if any). THE APPLICANT'S REQUEST, STATEMENT, AND EVIDENCE: 1. The applicant requests correction of his DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to show his name as W____ G____ Z____. 2. The applicant states his name was legally changed. 3. The applicant provides copies of his DD Form 214; Honorable Discharge Certificate; and District Court of El Paso County, Texas, Order Granting Change of Name Adult. CONSIDERATION OF EVIDENCE: 1. The applicant enlisted in the Regular Army on 12 September 2007 and he was honorably discharged on 19 February 2013. 2. All of his military service records show he served under the name W____ W____ I____. 3. He provided an Order Granting Change of Name Adult issued by the District Court, El Paso County, Texas, dated 30 May 2013, showing the court ordered his name change from W____ W____ I____ to W____ G____ Z____. DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS: 1. The applicant used the name W____ W____ I____ throughout his military service and this name is properly recorded on his DD Form 214. His name was legally changed to W____ G____ Z____ in May 2013, 3 months after his discharge. 2. For historical purposes, the Army has an interest in maintaining the integrity of its records. The data and information contained in those records should reflect the conditions and circumstances that existed at the time the records were created. In the absence of a showing of material error or injustice, there is a reluctance to recommend that those records be changed. While it is understandable that the applicant desires to record the name he now uses on his DD Form 214, there is not a sufficiently compelling reason for compromising the integrity of his DD Form 214. 3. The applicant is advised that a copy of this decisional document will be filed in his military records. This should serve to clarify any questions or confusion regarding the difference between the name recorded on his DD Form 214 and the name he now uses. BOARD VOTE: ________ ________ ________ GRANT FULL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT PARTIAL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT FORMAL HEARING ____X____ ____X____ ___X_____ DENY APPLICATION BOARD DETERMINATION/RECOMMENDATION: The evidence presented does not demonstrate the existence of a probable error or injustice. Therefore, the Board determined the overall merits of this case are insufficient as a basis for correction of the records of the individual concerned. ______________X___________ CHAIRPERSON I certify that herein is recorded the true and complete record of the proceedings of the Army Board for Correction of Military Records in this case. ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20130011260 3 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1 ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20130011260 2 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1