BOARD DATE: 29 July 2014 DOCKET NUMBER: AR20130019976 THE BOARD CONSIDERED THE FOLLOWING EVIDENCE: 1. Application for correction of military records (with supporting documents provided, if any). 2. Military Personnel Records and advisory opinions (if any). THE APPLICANT'S REQUEST, STATEMENT, AND EVIDENCE: 1. The applicant requests reconsideration of his request for correction of records to show he performed temporary duty (TDY) in the Republic of Vietnam (RVN) during the period 8 September 1966 to 20 December 1966. 2. In an undated notarized letter to the Army Board for Correction of Military Records (ABCMR), the applicant provides the following statement: "I would like to ask for clarification of my service in Vietnam. I am writing the statement and having it notarized so that it may be considered as new evidence. I was TDY in the RVN from September 8, 1966 until December of 1966. During this time period we traveled from Saigon to Da Nang and from Da Nang to Quang Ngai and Chu Lai, from Chu Lai back to Da Nang and then to Phu Bai and Hue. I would then travel back to Da Nang to do this over again." "I was stationed in the RVN and the following men, who were also there on the same TDY orders: SFC [Sergeant First Class] Jerrold T---------- who lives in South Hill, VA. Also, Harry C--- who was from Pennsylvania, PA and a civilian, Mr. G-----, who was from North Carolina." "I feel that my word should be considered in this matter. I am a military retiree with 24 years of service to my name. Therefore, my word should carry some weight in this request." 3. The applicant provides no additional documentary evidence in support of his request for reconsideration. CONSIDERATION OF EVIDENCE: 1. Incorporated herein by reference are military records which were summarized in the previous consideration of the applicant's case by the ABCMR in Docket Number AR20120016980, on 16 April 2013. 2. The applicant had prior honorable enlisted service in the Regular Army (RA) from 3 August 1950 through 17 December 1952 and in the U.S. Army Reserve (USAR) from 18 December 1952 through 30 May 1955. 3. He again enlisted in the RA on 31 May 1955. Through a series of reenlistments, he continued to serve on active duty in the Signal Corps. He attained the rank/grade of sergeant first class (SFC)/ (E-7). 4. A review of the applicant's military service records failed to reveal a copy of TDY orders, reassignment orders, or any documentary evidence that shows he was ordered to serve in the RVN during the period of service in question (from September to December 1966). 5. A 1st Signal Brigade, USASTRATCOM [U.S. Army Strategic Communications Command], Certificate of Achievement, was awarded to the applicant and signed by Brigadier General Robert D. T----, Commanding General, that reads as follows: "Staff Sergeant [applicant's name and service number] U.S. Army, Headquarters, 1st Signal Brigade (USASTRATCOM), APO [Army Post Office] San Francisco [SF] 96307. In recognition of meritorious service for the period of 8 September 1966 to 20 December 1966. While serving in the capacity of IWCS [Integrated Wideband Communications System] Contractor Field Inspector you demonstrated great technical knowledge and devotion to duty. Your performance of duty reflects great credit upon yourself, IWCS, and the U.S. Army." 6. A review of the applicant's military service records failed to reveal a copy of a DD Form 214 (Report of Separation from Active Duty) for the period 4 June 1961 through 3 June 1967. 7. A review of the applicant's military service records reveals he was assigned to Company A, 29th Signal Battalion while serving in the RVN from 9 May 1968 through 5 May 1969. This review failed to reveal evidence of any other service in the RVN. 8. A DD Form 214 shows the applicant entered active duty this period on 4 June 1967, he was retired from active duty on 31 March 1974 by reason of sufficient service for retirement, and transferred to the USAR Control Group (Retired). He had completed 21 years, 2 months, and 15 days of total active service; 2 years, 5 months, and 13 days of prior inactive service; and 23 years, 7 months, and 28 days of total service for pay. It also shows in - * item 18f (Foreign and/or Sea Service This Period): "01 08 05" * Germany - 10 July 1967 through 17 March 1968 * Vietnam - 9 May 1968 through 5 May 1969 * item 19 (Indochina or Korea Service Since August 5, 1964): * Korea - October 1965 through April 1966 * Vietnam - 9 May 1968 through 5 May 1969 9. An AGAZ Form 785 (APO Information and History Record) shows, in pertinent part, APO SF 96307 opened on 25 September 1964 and served units at Tan Son Nhut Airfield, RVN until it closed on 13 March 1973. 10. Army Regulation 635-5 (Personnel Separations - Separation Documents), in effect at the time of the applicant's retirement from active duty, prescribed policies and procedures regarding separation documents. It also established standardized policy for preparing and distributing the DD Form 214. a. Chapter 2 contains guidance on the preparation of the DD Form 214. It states, in pertinent part, that the source documents for entering information on the DD Form 214 will be the Enlisted Qualification Record, Officer Qualification Record, Personnel Qualification Record, Officer Record Brief, enlistment/ reenlistment documents, personnel finance records, discharge documents, separation orders, Military Personnel Records Jacket, or any other document authorized for filing in the Official Military Personnel File. b. Section II (Preparation of DD Form 214) contains item-by-item instructions for completing the DD Form 214. The instructions state for - * item 18f, all service shown will be computed based on foreign service completed during the period covered by the DD Form 214 * item 19, for Vietnam service place an "X" in the "YES" block and show specific dates of service DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS: 1. The applicant's request for correction of his records to show he performed TDY in the RVN during the period 8 September 1966 to 20 December 1966 was carefully reconsidered. 2. The certificate of achievement offers evidence of the applicant's service with 1st Signal Brigade (USASTRATCOM) as an IWCS contractor field inspector during the period 8 September 1966 to 20 December 1966. In addition, an APO Information and History Record shows APO SF 96307 served units at Tan Son Nhut Airfield in the RVN during the above cited period. Thus, based on the evidence of record, it is reasonable to conclude that the applicant served in the RVN from 8 September 1966 to 20 December 1966. 3. A calculation of this period of overseas service shows: 1966  12  20 date of redeployment - 1966  09  08 date of deployment = 00  03  12 + 1 day inclusive = 00  03  13 or 3 months and 13 days of foreign service 4. The applicant's DD Form 214 for the period 4 June 1961 through 3 June 1967 is not available to correct and show this period of foreign service. In addition, Army regulatory guidance precludes including this foreign service in item 18f of his DD Form 214 that covers the period 4 June 1967 through 31 March 1974. However, it would be appropriate at this time to correct his records to show this period of foreign service in the RVN on his final DD Form 214. BOARD VOTE: ___x_____ ____x____ __x___ GRANT FULL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT PARTIAL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT FORMAL HEARING ________ ________ ________ DENY APPLICATION BOARD DETERMINATION/RECOMMENDATION: The Board determined that the evidence presented was sufficient to warrant amendment of the ABCMR's decision in Docket Number AR20120016980, dated 16 April 2013. As a result, the Board recommends that all Department of the Army records of the individual concerned be corrected by adding to item 27 of his 31 March 1974 DD Form 214: "Reference Item 19: Vietnam - 8 September 1966 – 20 December 1966." ___________x____________ CHAIRPERSON I certify that herein is recorded the true and complete record of the proceedings of the Army Board for Correction of Military Records in this case. ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20130019976 3 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1 ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20130019976 3 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1