Applicant Name: ????? Application Receipt Date: 2011/08/04 Prior Review: Prior Review Date: NA I. Applicant Request: Upgrade Reason Change RE Code Change Issues: The applicant states "I'm requesting a review due to it wasn't due to entry level performance and conduct. I had injured my knee during basic training and therefore was unable to complete final PT test. I had gone to the therapy camp and there was still no improvement in my knee condition and as a result I became depressed. Immediately after being discharged I went to the VA medical center and their I was diagnosed with Patellar-Femoral Syndrome which they stated was a service-connected disability. I was rated at 10%. I had no control of this injury and therefore I feel it should reflect on my DD-214." II. Were Proper Discharge and Separation Authority procedures followed? Tender Offer: NA See Attachments: Legal Medical Minority Opinion Exhibits III. Discharge Under Review Unit CDR Recommended Discharge: Date: NIF Discharge Received: Date: 010208 Chapter: 11 AR: 635-200 Reason: Entry Level Performance and Conduct RE: SPD: JGA Unit/Location: FTC, 120th Adjutant General Battalion (Reception), Fort Jackson, SC Time Lost: None Article 15s (Charges/Dates/Punishment): NIF Courts-Martial (Charges/Dates/Punishment): NIF Counseling Records Available: Yes No IV. Soldier’s Overall Record Age at current enlistment: 18 Current ENL Date: 000831 Current ENL Term: 4 Years ????? Current ENL Service: 0 Yrs, 5 Mos, 8 Days ????? Total Service: 0 Yrs, 5 Mos, 8 Days ????? Previous Discharges: None Highest Grade: E-1 Performance Ratings Available: Yes No MOS: None GT: 91 EDU: HS Grad Overseas: None Combat: None Decorations/Awards: None V. Post-Discharge Activity City, State: ????? Post Service Accomplishments: None submitted by the applicant. VI. Facts, Circumstances, and Legal Basis for Separation a. Facts and Circumstances: The specific facts and circumstances leading to the applicant’s discharge from the Army are not contained in the available records. However, the record does contain a properly constituted DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty), which was authenticated by the applicant’s signature. The DD Form 214 indicates the applicant was discharged under the provisions of Chapter 11, AR 635-200, by reason of entry level performance and conduct with an uncharacterized separation of service. Furthermore, the DD Form 214 shows a Separation Code of JGA (i.e., entry level performance and conduct) with a reentry eligibility (RE) code of 3. On 5 February 2001, DA, HQ, US Army Training Center, Fort Jackson, SC, issued Orders 036-1204 discharging the applicant from the Regular Army with an effective date of: 8 February 2001. b. Legal Basis for Separation: Army Regulation 635-200 sets forth the basic authority for the separation of enlisted personnel. Chapter 11, of this regulation, in pertinent part, states that a member may be separated for unsatisfactory performance, conduct, or both, while in an entry level status. This provision of the regulation applies to Soldiers who can not meet the minimum standards for training, have demonstrated that they are not qualified for retention because they can not adapt socially or emotionally to military life or because they lack the aptitude, ability, motivation or self discipline for military service, or they have demonstrated characteristics not compatible with satisfactory continued military service. The regulation requires an uncharacterized discharge for separation under this Chapter. c. Response to Issues, Recommendation and Rationale: After a careful review of all the applicant’s available records for the period of enlistment under review, the issue and document submitted with the application, the analyst found no mitigating factors which would merit an upgrade of the applicant's discharge. The applicant’s record is void of the specific facts and circumstances concerning the events which led to the discharge from the Army. However, the applicant’s record does contain a properly constituted DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty). This document identifies the reason and characterization of the discharge and the analyst presumed government regularity in the discharge process. Army Regulation 635-200 provides in pertinent part, that a Soldier is in entry-level status for the first 180 days of continuous active duty. The purpose of the entry-level status is to provide the Soldier a probationary period. Soldiers who are found to lack the necessary motivation, adaptability, self-discipline, ability, or attitude to become productive Soldiers may be expeditiously separated while in entry-level status. The analyst noted the applicant's request that her characterization of service be changed to honorable. A fully honorable discharge may be granted only in cases which are clearly warranted by unusual circumstances involving outstanding personal conduct and/or performance of duty. The analyst determined that no such unusual circumstances were present in the applicant’s record and her service did not warrant an honorable discharge. The analyst was satisfied that all requirements of law and regulation were met and that the rights of the applicant were fully protected through the separation process. Additionally, the applicant's contentions were carefully considered. However, the analyst is unable to determine whether these contentions have merit because the facts and circumstances leading to the discharge are unknown. The burden of proof remains with the applicant to provide the appropriate documents or other evidence sufficient to explain the facts, circumstances, and reasons underlying the separation action, for the Board's consideration. If the applicant desires a personal appearance hearing, it will still be her responsibility to meet the burden of proof since the evidence is not available in the official record. Therefore, based on the available evidence, the analyst presumes government regularity in the discharge process and determined that the reason for discharge and the characterization of service were both proper and equitable and recommends to the Board to deny relief. VII. Summary of Army Discharge Review Board Hearing Type of Hearing: Date: 17 February 2012 Location: Washington, DC Did the Applicant Testify? Yes No Counsel: None Witnesses/Observers: NA Exhibits Submitted: Online application dated 2 August 2011. VIII. Board Discussion, Determination, and Recommendation After carefully examining the applicant’s record of service during the period of enlistment under review and considering the analyst’s recommendation and rationale, the Board determined that the discharge was both proper and equitable and voted to deny relief. IX. Board Decision Board Vote: Character - Change 0 No change 5 Reason - Change 0 No change 5 (Board member names available upon request) X. Board Action Directed Issue a new DD Form 214 Change Characterization to: Change Reason to: No Change Other: No Change RE Code: Grade Restoration: No Yes Grade: No Change XI. Certification Signature Approval Authority: EDGAR J. YANGER Colonel, U.S. Army President, Army Discharge Review Board BONITA E. TROTMAN Lieutenant Colonel, U. S. Army Secretary Recorder ????? Legend: AWOL Absent Without Leave GCM General Court Martial NA Not applicable SCM Summary Court Martial BCD Bad Conduct Discharge GD General Discharge NIF Not in the file SPCM Special Court Martial CG Company Grade Article 15 HD Honorable Discharge OAD Ordered to Active Duty UNC Uncharacterized Discharge DD Dishonorable Discharge HS High School Graduate OMPF Official Military Personnel File UOTH Under Other Than Honorable FG Field Grade Article 15 IADT Initial Active Duty Training RE Reentry Code Conditions ARMY DISCHARGE REVIEW BOARD - CASE REPORT AND DIRECTIVE Case Number AR20110016105 ______________________________________________________________________________ Page 1 of 3 pages