RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS IN THE CASE OF: BOARD DATE: 21 June 2007 DOCKET NUMBER: AR20070001151 I certify that hereinafter is recorded the true and complete record of the proceedings of the Army Board for Correction of Military Records in the case of the above-named individual. Ms. Catherine C. Mitrano Director Ms. Wanda L. Waller Analyst The following members, a quorum, were present: Ms. Sherri Ward Chairperson Mr. Richard Dunbar Member Mr. David Tucker Member The Board considered the following evidence: Exhibit A - Application for correction of military records. Exhibit B - Military Personnel Records (including advisory opinion, if any). THE APPLICANT'S REQUEST, STATEMENT, AND EVIDENCE: 1. The applicant, as the daughter of a deceased former service member (FSM) of World War l, requests that her late father be awarded the Purple Heart. 2. The applicant states that her father served honorably during World War I, that he was wounded and gassed, and that he was left for dead. 3. The applicant provides an Honorable Discharge Certificate from the U.S. Army; an Enlistment Record; service clinical records; a Certification of Military Service; and a Certificate from the State Guard of Wisconsin. CONSIDERATION OF EVIDENCE: 1. The FSM’s military records are not available to the Board for review. A fire destroyed approximately 18 million service members’ records at the National Personnel Records Center in 1973. It is believed that the FSM’s records were lost or destroyed in that fire. However, there were sufficient documents remaining in a reconstructed record for the Board to conduct a fair and impartial review of this case. 2. The FSM enlisted in the U.S. Army on 1 May 1918. He was assigned to the 112th Machine Gun Battalion of the 37th Division during World War I. On 14 February 1919, the FSM was honorably discharged. 3. The FSM’s Enlistment Record shows he sustained shrapnel wounds to his right side and a finger on 3 August [1918] in the Wounds Received in Service section. 4. In support of her claim, the applicant provided clinical records and service records which show the FSM was wounded (shrapnel wounds to his right side and fourth finger on his right hand) and gassed in August 1918. 5. The FSM died on 20 July 1981. 6. Army Regulation 600-8-22 (Military Awards) states, in pertinent part, that the Purple Heart is awarded in the name of the President of the United States to any member of an Armed Force or any civilian national of the United States who, while serving under competent authority in any capacity with one of the U.S. Armed Services after 5 April 1917 has been wounded or killed or who has died or may hereafter die after being wounded in any action against an enemy of the United States. 7. Army Regulation 600-8-22 provides, in pertinent part, for award of the World War I Victory Medal. It is awarded for service between 6 April 1917 and 11 November 1918. DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS: 1. The entry on the FSM’s Enlistment Record and the medical documentation provided by the applicant which show the FSM was wounded in action on 3 August 1918 are accepted as sufficient evidence on which to base award of the Purple Heart in this case. 2. The FSM served a period of qualifying service for award of the World War I Victory Medal. BOARD VOTE: SW_____ __RD___ __DT____ GRANT FULL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT PARTIAL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT FORMAL HEARING ________ ________ ________ DENY APPLICATION BOARD DETERMINATION/RECOMMENDATION: The Board determined that the evidence presented was sufficient to warrant a recommendation for relief. As a result, the Board recommends that all Department of the Army records of the individual concerned be corrected by: a. awarding him the Purple Heart for wounds received in action on 3 August 1918; and b. issuing the Purple Heart and the World War I Victory Medal to the applicant. ___Sherri Ward________ CHAIRPERSON INDEX CASE ID AR20070001151 SUFFIX RECON DATE BOARDED 20070621 TYPE OF DISCHARGE DATE OF DISCHARGE DISCHARGE AUTHORITY DISCHARGE REASON BOARD DECISION GRANT REVIEW AUTHORITY ISSUES 1. 107.0015 2. 3. 4. 5. 6.