IN THE CASE OF: BOARD DATE: 29 May 2008 DOCKET NUMBER: AR20080005292 THE BOARD CONSIDERED THE FOLLOWING EVIDENCE: 1. Application for correction of military records (with supporting documents provided, if any). 2. Military Personnel Records and advisory opinions (if any). THE APPLICANT'S REQUEST, STATEMENT, AND EVIDENCE: 1. The applicant, the son of a former service member (FSM), requests that the FSM be awarded the Purple Heart. 2. The applicant states that his father received wounds in combat in France during World War I. 3. The applicant provides his birth certificate; the FSM’s Honorable Discharge; and a copy of a certificate featuring the etching, “Columbia Gives to Her Son the Accolade of the New Chivalry of Humanity.” CONSIDERATION OF EVIDENCE: 1. The FSM’s military records are not available to the Board for review. A fire destroyed approximately 18 million service members’ records at the National Personnel Records Center in 1973. It is believed that the FSM’s records were lost or destroyed in that fire. However, there are sufficient documents, consisting of the evidence provided by the applicant and the FSM’s final payment record, for the Board to conduct a fair and impartial review of this case. 2. The FSM’s Honorable Discharge shows that he was assigned to Headquarters Company, 58th Infantry and was honorably discharged in the rank of private first class on 14 June 1919. 3. The date of the FSM’s death is unknown. 4. The applicant provided a copy of a certificate featuring the etching, “Columbia Gives to Her Son the Accolade of the New Chivalry of Humanity.” This certificate shows that the FSM served with Headquarters Company, 58th Infantry with honor during World War and was wounded in action. 5. The Purple Heart was established by General George Washington at Newburgh, NY on 7 August 1782 during the Revolutionary War. It was reestablished by the President of the United States per War Department General Orders 3 in 1932. It was awarded in the name of the President of the United States to any member of the Armed Forces or any civilian national of the United States who, while serving under competent authority in any capacity with one of the U. S. Armed Services after 5 April 1917, died or sustained a wound as a result of hostile action. 6. The etching, “Columbia Gives to Her Son the Accolade of the New Chivalry of Humanity,” was drawn and designed by a well-known artist of the day at the special request of President Woodrow Wilson. It was used as the central design on a certificate which was presented to every Soldier, sailor, and marine who had been wounded in action during honorable service in World War I. DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS: The etching, “Columbia Gives to Her Son the Accolade of the New Chivalry of Humanity” provided by the applicant which shows the FSM was wounded in action during World War I is accepted as sufficient evidence on which to award the Purple Heart. Therefore, the FSM should be awarded the Purple Heart for wounds received during World War I. BOARD VOTE: ___xx___ ___xx___ ___xx___ GRANT FULL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT PARTIAL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT FORMAL HEARING ________ ________ ________ DENY APPLICATION BOARD DETERMINATION/RECOMMENDATION: The Board determined that the evidence presented was sufficient to warrant a recommendation for relief. As a result, the Board recommends that all Department of the Army records of the individual concerned be corrected by awarding him the Purple Heart for wounds received during World War I. _ __xxx_____ ___ CHAIRPERSON I certify that herein is recorded the true and complete record of the proceedings of the Army Board for Correction of Military Records in this case. ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20080005292 3 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1 ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20080005292 3 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1