IN THE CASE OF: BOARD DATE: 18 February 2016 DOCKET NUMBER: AR20150008169 THE BOARD CONSIDERED THE FOLLOWING EVIDENCE: 1. Application for correction of military records (with supporting documents provided, if any). 2. Military Personnel Records and advisory opinions (if any). THE APPLICANT'S REQUEST, STATEMENT, AND EVIDENCE: 1. The applicant requests correction of his DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to show the Joint Service Commendation Medal (JSCM) and the Meritorious Unit Commendation (MUC). 2. The applicant states he discovered the awards were missing from his DD Form 214 and: a. He was awarded the JCSM on 15 May 2007 for service in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF). b. He served with I Corps during the time when it served as the Multi-National Corps-Iraq (MNC-I) at Camp Victory, Iraq from 2 July 2009 to 9 March 2010. c. Permanent Orders 133-19 announced the MUC was awarded to Headquarters, I Corps for service in support of OIF for the period 4 April 2009 to 9 March 2010. 3. The applicant provides copies of his DD Forms 214 for the periods ending 22 June 2007, 17 June 2010, and 14 March 2014; Orders A-06-915730 with three amendments; an extract from DA Pamphlet 670-1 (Guide to the Wear and Appearance of Army Uniforms and Insignia); DD Form 2413 (JSCM Certificate); and Permanent Orders 133-19, dated 13 May 2010. CONSIDERATION OF EVIDENCE: 1. The applicant was appointed a Reserve commissioned officer in area of concentration 55A (Judge Advocate General (JAG) Officer) on 25 February 1997. He served in the U.S. Army Reserve (USAR) and was ordered to active duty on numerous occasions for training and in support of contingency operations during his period of military service. 2. DA Forms 67-9 (Officer Evaluation Report) show he was evaluated while assigned to the Multi-National Security Transition Command-Iraq (MNSTC-I) from 29 March 2006 through 19 May 2007. 3. He provides a JSCM Certificate, which shows he was awarded the JSCM for meritorious service on 15 May 2007. The JSCM Certificate does not include a permanent orders number but is signed by the Commander, MNSTC-I, for the Secretary of Defense. 4. He provides Orders A-06-915730 issued by U.S. Army Human Resources Command (HRC), St. Louis, Missouri, on 2 June 2009, which ordered him to active duty for the purpose of operational support in support of Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), assigning him to the Multi-National Corps with duty in Afghanistan for 365 days reporting on 20 June 2009. These orders were amended by Orders A-06-915730A02, issued by HRC on 22 June 2009, which changed his duty location from Afghanistan to Iraq. 5. DA Form 67-9 shows he was evaluated while assigned to the MNC-I from 28 June 2009 through 13 March 2010. 6. He provides Permanent Orders 133-19, issued by HRC on 13 May 2010, which announced the award of the MUC to Headquarters, I Corps, for exceptionally meritorious service in support of OIF during the period 4 April 2009 to 9 March 2010. 7. An internet search of I Corps history on the Army website revealed that I Corps served as the operational command and control for forces in Iraq (MNC-I) during the period of April 2009 through March 2010. 8. Orders 009-0015, issued by Headquarters, U.S. Army Garrison, Fort Bliss, Texas, on 9 January 2014, released him from active duty for contingency operations in support of OEF [OIF], with an effective date of 14 March 2014 and released him back to his USAR unit. 9. His DD Form 214 shows he was honorably released from active duty by reason of completion of required active service on 14 March 2014. It does not list the JSCM or the MUC. 10. The JSCM was authorized by the Secretary of Defense on 25 June 1963. It is awarded in the name of the Secretary of Defense to members of the Armed Forces of the United States who, while assigned to a joint activity after 1 January 1963, distinguished themselves by meritorious achievement or service. 11. Army Regulation 600-8-22 (Military Awards) states the Meritorious Unit Commendation is awarded to units for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services for at least 6 continuous months during the period of military operations against an armed enemy occurring on or after 1 January 1944. It further states that it is for the designated unit and is authorized to members of that unit who participated in the cited action. DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS: 1. The applicant's request for correction of his DD Form 214 to show the award of the JSCM and the MUC were carefully considered. 2. With respect to the JSCM, although the JSCM Certificate does not include a permanent orders number, two OERs show he was assigned to the MNSTC-I from on or about 29 March 2006 through on or about 19 May 2007. It is then reasonable to assume he was awarded the JSCM near the end of his service in Iraq. The JSCM is not listed on his DD Form 214. 3. With respect to the MUC, evidence shows he was assigned from on or about 28 June 2009 through on or about 13 March 2010 to MNC-I during the period that I Corps, while serving as the MNC-I operational headquarters, was awarded the MUC for meritorious service in support of OIF during the period 4 April 2009 to 9 March 2010. The MUC is not listed on his DD Form 214. BOARD VOTE: ___x____ ____x___ ___x____ GRANT FULL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT PARTIAL RELIEF ________ ________ ________ GRANT FORMAL HEARING ________ ________ ________ DENY APPLICATION BOARD DETERMINATION/RECOMMENDATION: The Board determined that the evidence presented was sufficient to warrant a recommendation for relief. As a result, the Board recommends that all Department of the Army records of the individual concerned be corrected by adding to his DD Form 214 for the period ending 14 March 2014 the Joint Service Commendation Medal and the Meritorious Unit Commendation. _____________x______________ CHAIRPERSON I certify that herein is recorded the true and complete record of the proceedings of the Army Board for Correction of Military Records in this case. ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20120020189 3 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1 ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20150008169 4 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1