IN THE CASE OF: BOARD DATE: 4 January 2021 DOCKET NUMBER: AR20180011083 APPLICANT REQUESTS: in effect, a change in the narrative reason for his separation to reflect a medical retirement and a personal appearance before the Board. APPLICANT'S SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS CONSIDERED BY THE BOARD: * DD Form 149 (Application for Correction of Military Record) * Self-Authored Statement (19 pages) * Timeline of Key Events (49 pages) * List of Exhibits * Medical Waiver Request dated 23 July 1999 * Medical Determination dated 25 June 2001 * Orders 163-0005 dated 12 June 2007 * DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) * Civilian Medical Separation Notice dated 21 May 2010 * Orders D-03-305257 dated 29 March 2013 * Social Security Administration (SSA) Decision dated 14 August 2014 * State University (ASU) Voluntary Withdrawal dated 30 April 2018 * Ten Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Decisions * Five Letters of Support * Medical Records (715 pages) FACTS: 1. The applicant did not file within the three year time frame provided in Title 10, United States Code, section 1552(b); however, the ABCMR conducted a substantive review of this case and determined it is in the interest of justice to excuse the applicant's failure to timely file. 2. The applicant states he respectfully requests his discharge be changed to reflect an honorable medical retirement. a. He should have been considered non-deployable at the time of his separation as a result of his psychological and physical status, as reported through medical visits, online post-deployment assessments, and his medical exams upon separation. He completed the appropriate forms and attended one-on-one sessions, but there was no real encouragement for him to follow or any follow-up from the professionals he sought care from. He was never made aware of the possibility of a medical retirement board for psychiatric/psychological injuries. He believes the Army in 2007 did not encourage admitting to psychological injury, it was not encouraged by heath care professionals, and it would have been career ending. He would have been subjected to ridicule and shame. He could not go to his command for help and relied on the professionals. b. His physical and mental conditions deteriorated over time. He suffers from post- traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), traumatic brain injury (TBI), he endured four shoulder surgeries (two total replacements), one foot surgery, two hospitalizations for suicide, and severe migraine headaches. He is unemployable as a result of his health. The injuries to his feet, his shoulders, and his migraine headaches would have never allowed him to sustain the life of a Soldier. He could not hold commands if he were on regular profiles and the injuries have progressed with treatment. c. He did not suffer psychological issues as a child outside of the death of a friend from illness, nor has he suffered any physical or psychological trauma since the issues of which he now complains. According to professionals, his PTSD is attributed directly to the mental trauma he experienced in combat in Iraq. He was unable to process the situation at the time, due to the circumstances he was in, but it was a valuable coping mechanism. He now suffers from chronic conditions, but was delayed in submitting his application due to ongoing treatment and awaiting completion of evaluation. 3. The applicant provides: a. A self-authored statement (18 pages) which provides details of his early childhood, schools attended, duty assignments, combat deployments, descriptions of physical and psychological challenges, life after the military, family life which led to divorce, and subsequent medical visits with the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and numerous physicians. b. A timeline of key events (49 pages) from his medical evaluation physical to enter the military in June 2001 through his subsequent visits with VA for PTSD in June 2018. c. A list of exhibits. d. A Medical Waiver Request memorandum, dated 23 July 1999, approving the applicant’s request for a medical waiver due to migraine headaches. His waiver was granted for scholarship participation, advanced course enrollment, airborne/ranger training, and combat arms assignments. e. A Medical Determination, dated 25 June 2001, indicating the applicant was fully qualified under Chapter 2, Army Regulation 40-501. f. Orders 163-0005, dated 12 June 2007, which discharged the applicant from active duty with an effective date of 1 February 2009; however, his Reserve obligation extended through 14 June 2010. g. A Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty for his active service from 15 June 2006 to 1 February 2008. h. A letter from a Sheriff, dated 21 May 2010, notifying the applicant of his separation from civilian employment. He was restricted from working for the Sheriff’s Department since 18 August 2009, his leave was extended, there was no estimated return date, and the County would be medically separating him from employment effective 4 June 2010. i. Orders D-03-305257, dated 29 March 2013, which honorably discharged the applicant from the U.S. Army Reserve (USAR) effective 29 March 2013. j. An SSA Decision, dated 14 August 2014, which notified the applicant of his fully favorable decision. He was considered disabled under sections 216(i) and 223(d) of the Social Security Act with an effective date of 1 February 2008. k. A Voluntary Complete Withdrawal from a Graduate Degree Program, dated 30 April 2018, which indicated the applicant was withdrawing from the School of Criminology and Criminal Justice due to increased PTSD and TBI symptoms. l. Ten VA Decisions: * 18 June 2008 an explanation of the VA decision made for service connection which included 10% for degenerative joint disease (left shoulder), 10% for PTSD, and 10% for prostrating headaches, migraines * 27 June 2008 the amount for a monthly entitlement for service connected compensation received on 6 February 2008 * 23 April 2010 the VA increased his evaluation for PTSD with panic disorder to 70% effective 26 August 2009 * 30 April 2010 a change in compensation rating adjustment from 10% to 70% effective 26 September 2009 and a change in spouse status * 19 March 2013 his service connection for post total shoulder replacement was granted with 100% effective 22 August 2012 and TBI granted with 40% effective 8 September 2010 * 29 March 2013 provided compensation adjustments for individual unemployability and a compensation rating with TBI added at 40% and bilateral plantar fasciitis at 10% * 30 January 2015 a temporary evaluation of 100% was assigned effective 23 May 2012 only warranted for 13 months following prosthetic replacement of the shoulder, increase from 10% to 50% for bilateral plantar fasciitis effective 9 April 2014 and increase for prostrating headaches, migraines from 10% to 30% effective 25 March 2014 * 9 February 2015 a cost of living adjustment * 18 January 2016 monthly entitlement amount changes due to special monthly compensation adjustments * 18 July 2016 change in special monthly compensation adjustments m. Five letters of support: (1) A letter from his father, D, dated 11 June 2018, which states he was also an ROTC graduate from the University of and he served in Vietnam. He returned and served in the Army National Guard for over 20 years and retired as a colonel. The applicant followed in his footsteps, and at the time he was in excellent physical and mental condition. He and his wife visited with the applicant and his wife at numerous duty locations and he was full of enthusiasm. The applicant deployed to Afghanistan and then Iraq. He was surprised to hear that he was leaving the Army shortly upon his return because he thought his son would make it career. His son was not the same strong man of enthusiasm, he was not the same husband, or the same friend. The marriage soon ended and he was disappointed that his son would not even consider a career in the National Guard. His son had changed and the pre-deployment son would have considered it out of respect for his father. He and his wife began to look for help for their son in the mental health arena. (2) The applicant shared with his father that he sought help in the military; however, there was no real follow up beyond the availability of group sessions and medications. He does not believe that an officer could participate in such group processes while in uniform. The applicant also believed it would be the “kiss of death” to his career if he reported those problems to his chain of command. His son believed that once he was out of the Army the situation would improve and go away, but he had no idea of the dismal future ahead. He was unaware of the possibility of a medical discharge since the problems were undefined and took a voluntary discharge when his active obligation was over. The applicant began to see practitioners and open up about his combat experiences. He attended a 6 month sheriff academy and did well, but they had to push him to return on Sunday night after the weekend. His PTSD only worsened with the exposure of law enforcement. The applicant then shared with his physician additional details that led to his combat trauma. (3) The applicant moved to Colorado near his brother in law. He believes the applicant was getting away from his past since he had once been a young talent with a great future, but now had very little going for him. He and his wife soon followed in 2014, selling their home of 40 years, after the applicant’s suicide attempt. He was not receiving the support they anticipated from the mental health folks outside of the monthly visit. In 2016, the applicant was not responsive to his calls and he drove to his home. He found him unresponsive lying in his bed with his dress blues and surrounded by military photos. He was transported to a hospital where he admitted to overdosing and on discharge was sent to an outpatient facility for evaluation. He was not seen for an additional 3 weeks by the Colorado VA. The applicant shifted his care to Denver and was seen for his left shoulder, PTSD, and TBI. He continued care with the Marcus Institute for Brain Health and gained a better understanding of his mental health issues. (4) A letter from H, dated 6 April 2018, states he and the applicant met as staff officers after their return from deployment. They were both hand selected to serve as Operations Officers for a new program in Iraq and were sent to Fort Hood, TX to conduct their deployment “workup.” They were in Iraq during the “surge” and the sectarian violence from 2006 to 2007. He and the applicant were sent to different areas. The area they were in did not have much protection outside of concertina wire and security personnel. They were attacked regularly for a period of 9 months. He believed they were given subpar training for the mission. The intensity of the fighting was like something he had never seen before and he believed they were attacked regularly because they moved in three vehicles with no support. Upon return, the applicant was given the task of being a brigade executive officer, but although he had a reputation of being one of the best officers in Hawaii, he could tell the applicant was very stressed. He spoke to the applicant and could immediately see that their experiences in Iraq had changed them for the worse. They believed as officers they had to “suck it up.” They discussed the night terrors they would have and it impacted their personality and mood. The applicant became more insular and less outgoing with time and they believed it was best for them both to leave the Army. No one ever told them they could receive a medical retirement for psychological issues that stemmed from trauma derived from Iraq. (5) A memorandum for record from Major D, dated 22 March 2018, which states he served with the applicant on three different occasions. He served with him in Korea from June 2003 to June 2004 where he can attest to the applicant being rated as the number one lieutenant in the entire battalion for his exceptional performance. He served with him again in Hawaii where the applicant was hand selected to serve as the brigade executive officer because he was the best captain in the brigade. The applicant deployed twice during that time and shared with him that the traumatic experiences caused him to have symptoms now universally accepted as PTSD. He personally witnessed his stress on several occasions and was being considered for yet another deployment. The applicant elected to resign his commission, but he believes that his struggle to cope with PTSD also led to his divorce. He did not believe there was a system in place for medically separating from the Army for PTSD, although there was a system in place for physical wounds in combat. He believes if the applicant would have received treatment for PTSD, he would have likely been a lieutenant colonel in the Army and would not have had to resign his commission. He could have been medically retired from active duty. (6) A letter from S, dated 10 May 2018, which states he knew the applicant and his wife before he deployed to Iraq. They were fellow officers in the same brigade and became social friends. He recalls the care in Hawaii was not advanced nor patient focused. There were group treatments where the enlisted and officers were lumped together. He believed it undermined the limits of authority for officers. PTSD was also known as a career killer with the stigma to avoid it at all cost. S kept his problems to himself, but had support above him when needed. The applicant returned from deployment a different person. He received life changing injuries that essentially went untreated because the mental health community in Hawaii was unable to identify and treat Soldiers suffering from PTSD. He withdrew from his circle of friends, he walked with his eyes focused on the ground, he appeared deflated, and contemplated suicide many times as he made the harsh decision to leave a career in the Army. The applicant had learned to cope with his problems with support from former fellow officers and family. (7) A letter from his ex-wife S, dated 29 May 2018, which states after the applicant returned from Iraq it was a very dark time that devastated their marriage. She met the applicant in college and he was confident, determined, assertive, and thoughtful, but he changed a great deal after the deployment to Iraq. She was completely shut out, he was angry, and his temper was horrendous. She walked around on eggshells hoping he would not yell at her or lash out. He never physically abused her, but the mental abuse was enough. She lost confidence in herself with the constant yelling and critiquing, and did not want to go out because the way he treated her was embarrassing. The applicant experienced nightmares and pack attacks, yet she was ill equipped or too withdrawn to know how to help. At her request he finally sought help from the medical facilities in Hawaii, but he refused to go to marriage counseling. They both knew their marriage and his mental health would not endure another deployment and decided it was best if he left the military. They hoped their marriage would get a second chance; however, his behavior continued and she was shut out of his life. They were living in isolation under the same roof with only hostility between them. Their marriage eventually imploded and they both returned to their parents. Soldiers are returning from deployments broken, without proper care, and families are collateral damage. She found a job where she could get the psychological help and counseling she also needed. The applicant had so much to offer the world, yet dealing with his injuries has become his life’s work. n. His medical records (715 pages) for treatment received from his medical examination as an ROTC cadet on 25 June 2000 through the treatment received at the Marcus Institute for Brian Health on 18 May 2018. 4. A review of the applicant’s service record shows: a. He entered active duty on 15 June 2002. b. On 27 November 2002, the applicant successfully completed the Military Police Officer Basic Course. c. His foreign/overseas service includes: * Korea from 26 December 2002 to 18 December 2003 * Afghanistan from 7 April 2004 to 4 October 2004 * Iraq from 24 January 2006 to 11 February 2007 d. Orders 163-0005, dated 12 June 2007, discharged the applicant from the Regular Army with an effective date of 1 February 2008 and a termination date of reserve obligation of 14 June 2010. e. On 1 February 2008, he was honorably discharged under the provisions of Army Regulation 600-8-24, paragraph 3-5. His DD Form 214 shows he completed 5 years, 7 months, and 17 days of active service. He was assigned separation code FND and the narrative reason for separation "Miscellaneous/General Reasons." 5. The Army Review Boards Agency (ARBA) Medical Advisor reviewed the supporting documents and the applicant's records in the Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (AHLTA), as well as the VA's Joint Legacy Viewer (JLV). The Interactive Personnel Records Management System (IPERMS) and civilian medical documentation were reviewed as well. The following findings and recommendations are noted. a. A Post Deployment Health Reassessment (PDHRA), dated 16 November 2007, indicated his affirmative responses for “nightmares, avoid situations…conflict with spouse,” as well as hypervigilant behavior. It further indicated significant concerns with “depression, /PTSD symptoms, anger, social family.” A Report of Medical History, dated 26 November 2007, noted his concerns with “anxiety, nightmares, extremely painful, debilitating migraine headaches, mild depression”. b. A VA C&P Evaluation, dated 22 January 2011, by a Clinical Psychologist diagnosed “PTSD Secondary to Combat experience in Afghanistan and especially Iraq, Cognitive Disorder NOS, Major Depressive Disorder, with some panic attacks.” A letter documented sessions dated 20 March, 1, 8 and 15 April 2008, and noted “working diagnoses PTSD and marital problems/divorcing." Another letter, dated 14 August 2009, diagnosed him with “PTSD.” c. Included with the ABCMR application, he claimed, “While I knew of medical retirement boards for physical injuries, I was never made aware of any such board for psychiatric/psychological injuries, either through the mental health care professionals I sought care through, or the various forms I filled out seeking help. Our Army culture at the time of 2007 was not one conducive to an officer admitting to a psychological injury.” Referencing his reaction to traumatic experiences in Iraq, he indicated, “My mental state was rapidly declining. The nightmares had gotten so bad that I could now taste blood. I could smell gunpowder and I could hear radio static. These sights, sounds and smells became very vivid and intense. My nightmares also started to include things that never happened but the things I feared most; the insurgents setting the trap and pinning us in; dropping mortars on us; getting kidnapped in the safe house; getting hit with the newest road side bomb (EFP). As these symptoms got worse, I would do my best not to think about Iraq, but reminders seemed to be everywhere. I could not close my eyes without thinking about Iraq. Meanwhile these nightmares become so real I thought I was really in Iraq. I would thrash and yell in bed. My wife would wake me up and I would be soaked in sweat. This was a nightly occurrence. Sometimes I would hear and see the lady with her baby cut in half. I could hear the shrieking of the Iraqi women. I became afraid of the dark to the extent I could not take our trash out at night I could not take a shower alone because I was afraid to close my eyes.” d. Review of the military electronic medical record (AHLTA) indicates a number of behavioral health notes. At the Neurology Clinic, AMC Tripler Shafter, dated 8 March 2007, an assessment by a medical doctor indicated, “the patient was seen approximately 1 year ago concerning his MHA’s. patient is having 2-3 HA’s (MHA) Q month that can last up to 24 hours. The patient always has a visual aura 10-20 minutes prior to the onset of the HA. The HA is usually on the L side of his head 8-9/10 constant pain intensity. These HA’s can improve with sleep. The patient describes another HA that he has approximately every other day. These HA’s are 5/10 and develop throughout the day. There is no aura. The HA is constant. He feels they are triggered by not eating.” He was diagnosed with “Headache Syndrome.” He was referred to the physician since “AD SM redeploying from1 yr tour in Iraq with c/o Migraines once a week with aura.” e. A clinical note at the SB Soldier Assistance Center, Desmond Doss Health Clinic, Schofield Barracks AHC, dated 1 November 2007, by a licensed clinical social worker (LCSW) noted “PT with cc of extreme anxiety and nightmares. PT reports he is functioning as a 12 yr old who is fearful of the dark, doing things and being alone when spouse was away for 5 days. PT did speak with Ms. L and agreed to begin celexa and minipress…Psychiatric diagnosis or condition deferred on Axis I.” Another clinical note the same day, 1 November 2007, by a nurse practitioner indicated, “SM presents with cc of increasing intensity of anxiety, mood irritability and vivid nightmares related to combat experiences. SM reports difficulty functioning when alone, feeling unable to relax. SM reports sleep has been poor – related poor sleep to persistent nightmares in which SM states the sights and smells in dream seem very real and disturbing. SM redeployed for second tour in Iraq in…2007.” The nurse practitioner diagnosed “Anxiety Disorder NOS, Rule Out PTSD.” f. A behavioral health note, dated 21 November 2007, by an LCSW reported, “PT with cc of increased nightmares of Iraq, restless sleep, thinking about Iraq daily, reading about Military Intelligence, POW experiences, lack of sexual and physical drive with spouse. PT disclosed and shared his experiences while with the transition team missions in Iraq.” g. A final clinical note by the LCSW, dated 28 November 2007, indicated “PT with cc of stress due to move to Southern California, nightmares with less intensity in the past 2 weeks, some concern about his transition into civilian life, excitement to start a new life in CA. PT states he will continue MH treatment as needed as he feels there are several issues which he would like to explore in therapy…Case will be closed today. PT will d/c from the Army.” h. The VA electronic medical record, the JLV, indicated a 100% service connected disability with PTSD 100%, Shoulder Prosthesis 50%, Flat Foot Condition 50%, Traumatic Brain Disease 40% and Migraine Headaches 30%. There were only three behavioral health related notes in the VA records, all under the Consult Encounters section. A Community Care – Behavioral Health note, dated 10 September 2020, indicated, “PT with a long hx of depression/PTSD and chronic suicidal ideas. During the last few years, the patient underwent treatment with multiple anti-depressants and combination of anti-depressant with other meds (Li atypical anti-psychotic) without dramatic improvement.” The Problem List identified, “Male Erectile Dysfunction” (7 October 2020), “Other Recurrent Depressive Disorder” (07 March 2016), “PTSD Chronic” (17 January 2016), “Cognitive Disorder” (17 December 2009), “Depressive Disorder NOS” (17 September 2009), “PTSD” (12 February 2008) and “Anxiety NOS” (13 December 2007). i. IPERMS contained an Officer Evaluation Report (OER), covering the period 14 June 2007 - 1 December 2007. The OER indicated that he served as the “Executive Officer for the largest combat Military Police Brigade in the Army.” His Rater, the Deputy Brigade Commander, noted, “[Applicant] is clearly in the top two very best Captains I have observed in my 22 years of service…Place him in command of a tactical MP Company immediately, send to ILE and select…to Major. He is a future battalion commander.” His Officer Record Brief, dated 09 May 2008, indicated his PULHES were all 1s indicative of no profiles. j. Review of available military documents indicates that the applicant received Behavioral Health diagnoses of Anxiety Disorder Not Otherwise Specified and a RULE OUT for PTSD while on active duty. k. The applicant did not have a history of a permanent profile (S-3) or a history of recurrent or extended hospitalizations. There is a lack of evidence that the psychological difficulties for which the applicant is requesting disability retirement interfered with his job performance. It is evident in the applicant’s medical record that he met military medical retention standards in accordance with AR 40-501. l. Review of the applicant’s military records indicate the following: (1) There were some AHLTA behavioral health notes in which the applicant identified past traumatic experiences while in Iraq. Reported symptoms from different providers noted hypervigilance, startle response, nightmares, intrusive thoughts, extreme anxiety and fearfulness, severe sleep problems, avoidant behavior, social withdrawal, depression and marital difficulties. Yet, despite all these indicators of PTSD, the behavioral health providers maintained the diagnosis of Anxiety Disorder NOS by and large, but for one nurse practitioner who indicated a Rule Out for PTSD. (2) The AHLTA records do not indicate he went through an MEB process. The behavioral health notes that were reviewed did not indicate any consideration of referral for a MEB related evaluation. Given his report of PTSD related symptoms in some of his behavioral health sessions, there should have been a referral to a psychologist and psychiatrist at Tripler Army Medical Center for further evaluation and psychological testing. (3) The clinical record does indicate that he was assessed for impact from prior head injuries. The primary outcome of these assessments was the presence of rather chronic headaches. m. Review of the VA electronic medical record (JLV) indicates that the applicant is rated with a 100% service connected disability with PTSD 100%, Shoulder Prosthesis 50%, Flat Foot Condition 50%, Traumatic Brain Disease 40% and Migraine Headaches 30%. (1) It is important to understand that the VA findings of service connection do not automatically result in a military medical retirement. The VA operates under different rules, laws and regulations when assigning disability percentages than the Department of Defense (DOD). In essence, the VA will compensate for all disabilities felt to be unsuiting. The Department of Defense, however, does not compensate for unsuiting conditions. It only compensates for unfitting conditions. Based on the available military records, there is insufficient indication that the applicant suffered from an unfitting psychiatric condition as indicated by the fact that his PTSD related symptoms and chronic headaches did not lead to identified functional limitations with his work performance while on active duty. This was further corroborated by the content of his OER (Jun – Dec 2007) and ORB (May 2008). The medical records as a whole demonstrate that he met military medical retention standards. (2) It is also important to note that the Department of Defense does not compensate service members for anticipated future severity or potential complications of conditions that were incurred during active military service. This is a role reserved for the VA. n. In conclusion, the following determinations are made. (1) The applicant’s military records do not support the existence of boardable PTSD/TBI at the time of discharge while in the Army, particularly due to the lack of PTSD specific evaluations prior to his discharge. (2) The applicant’s military records indicate that the applicant did meet medical retention standards IAW AR 40-501. (3) Applicant’s medical conditions DO not warrant separation through medical channels. (4) The applicant’s medical conditions regarding behavioral health symptoms, diagnoses and adverse impact on him WERE NOT duly considered during medical separation processing with particular emphasis on the symptoms he reported with behavioral health providers. o. It is therefore the opinion of the ARBA Medical Advisor that a referral of the applicant’s record to IDES for consideration of military medical retirement for PTSD/TBI is not warranted at this time. 6. By regulation (AR 15-185), an applicant is not entitled to a hearing before the ABCMR. Hearings may be authorized by a panel of the ABCMR or by the Director of the ABCMR. 7. By regulation (AR 635-5), the DD Form 214 is a summary of the Soldier's most recent period of continuous active duty. It provides a brief, clear-cut record of all current active, prior active, and prior inactive duty service at the time of release from active duty, retirement, or discharge. The information entered thereon reflects the conditions as they existed at the time of separation. Block 28 (Narrative Reason for Separation) is based on regulatory or other authority and can be checked against the cross reference in AR 635-5-1 (Separation Program Designator (SPD) Codes). 8. By regulation (AR 40-501), medical evaluation of certain enlisted military occupational specialties and officer duty assignments in terms of medical conditions and physical defects which are causes for rejection or medical unfitness for these specialized duties. If the profile is permanent the profiling officer must assess if the Soldier meets retention standards. Those Soldiers on active duty who do not meet retention standards must be referred to a medical evaluation board. 9. By regulation (AR 635-40), the mere presence of a medical impairment does not in and of itself justify a finding of unfitness. In each case, it is necessary to compare the nature and degree of physical disability present with the requirements of the duties the Soldier may reasonably be expected to perform because of his or her office, grade, rank, or rating. A Soldier is physically unfit when a medical impairment prevents reasonable performance of the duties required of the Soldier's office, grade, rank, or rating. 10. By law, the VA, in accordance with its own policies and regulations, awards compensation solely on the basis that a medical condition exists and that said medical condition reduces or impairs the social or industrial adaptability of the individual concerned. Consequently, due to the two concepts involved, an individual’s medical condition, although not considered medically unfitting for military service at the time of processing for separation, discharge or retirement, may be sufficient to qualify the individual for VA benefits based on an evaluation by that agency. BOARD DISCUSSION: 1. After reviewing the application and all supporting documents, the Board found relief is not warranted. The Board further found the available evidence is sufficient to fully and fairly consider this case without a personal appearance by the applicant. 2. The Board concurred with the conclusion of the ARBA Medical Advisor that the available records contain insufficient evidence to support a conclusion that the applicant should have been referred for evaluation for discharge or retirement due to disability prior to his discharge from the Regular Army in 2008. Based on a preponderance of evidence, the Board determined the applicant's discharge for "miscellaneous/general reasons" was not in error or unjust. BOARD VOTE: Mbr 1 Mbr 2 Mbr 3 : : : GRANT FULL RELIEF : : : GRANT PARTIAL RELIEF : : : GRANT FORMAL HEARING :XX XX :XX DENY APPLICATION BOARD DETERMINATION/RECOMMENDATION: The evidence presented does not demonstrate the existence of a probable error or injustice. Therefore, the Board determined the overall merits of this case are insufficient as a basis for correction of the records of the individual concerned. I certify that herein is recorded the true and complete record of the proceedings of the Army Board for Correction of Military Records in this case. REFERENCES: 1. Title 10, United States Code, section 1552(b), provides that applications for correction of military records must be filed within 3 years after discovery of the alleged error or injustice. This provision of law also allows the ABCMR to excuse an applicant's failure to timely file within the 3 year statute of limitations if the Army Board for Correction of Military Records (ABCMR) determines it would be in the interest of justice to do so. 2. Army Regulation 15-185 (ABCMR) prescribes the policies and procedures for correction of military records by the Secretary of the Army, acting through the ABCMR. The ABCMR begins its consideration of each case with the presumption of administrative regularity, which is that what the Army did was correct. a. The ABCMR is not an investigative body and decides cases based on the evidence that is presented in the military records provided and the independent evidence submitted with the application. The applicant has the burden of proving an error or injustice by a preponderance of the evidence. b. The ABCMR may, in its discretion, hold a hearing or request additional evidence or opinions. Additionally, it states in paragraph 2-11 that applicants do not have a right to a hearing before the ABCMR. The Director or the ABCMR may grant a formal hearing whenever justice requires. 3. Army Regulation 635-8 (Separation Processing and Documents) states the DD Form 214 is a summary of the Soldier's most recent period of continuous active duty. It provides a brief, clear-cut record of all current active, prior active, and prior inactive duty service at the time of release from active duty, retirement, or discharge. The information entered thereon reflects the conditions as they existed at the time of separation. Block 28 (Narrative Reason for Separation) is based on regulatory or other authority and can be checked against the cross reference in AR 635-5-1 (Separation Program Designator (SPD) Codes). 4. Army Regulation 635-5-1 (Separation Program Designation Codes) currently in effect, provides separation program designator (SPD) codes are three-character alphabetic combinations that identify reasons for, and types of, separation from active duty. The narrative reason for the separation will be entered in block 28 of the DD Form 214 exactly as listed in tables 2-2 or 2-3 of the regulation. Table 2-2 lists for SPD code FND, the narrative reason as, “Miscellaneous/General Reasons” in accordance with AR 600-8-24, paragraph 3-5. 5. Army Regulation 40-501 (Standards of Medical Fitness), in effect at the time, provided medical fitness standards of sufficient detail to ensure uniformity in medical evaluation of certain enlisted military occupational specialties and officer duty assignments in terms of medical conditions and physical defects which are causes for rejection or medical unfitness for these specialized duties. Chapter 3 (Medical Fitness Standards for Retention and Separation, Including Retirement), states the various medical conditions and physical defects which may render a Soldier unfit for further military service. Soldiers with conditions listed in this chapter will be evaluated by a medical board and will be referred to a physical evaluation board (PEB). 6. Army Regulation 635-40 (Physical Evaluation for Retention, Retirement, or Separation), prescribes policy and implements the requirements of chapter 61 (Retirement or Separation for Physical Disability) of Title 10, U.S. Code (USC). The regulation states: a. The mere presence of a medical impairment does not in and of itself justify a finding of unfitness. In each case, it is necessary to compare the nature and degree of physical disability present with the requirements of the duties the Soldier may reasonably be expected to perform because of his or her office, grade, rank, or rating. A Soldier is physically unfit when a medical impairment prevents reasonable performance of the duties required of the Soldier's office, grade, rank, or rating. b. Based upon the requirements of section 1203 of chapter 61, Title 10, USC, states Soldiers, not otherwise eligible for military retirement, with a disability not the result of intentional misconduct or willful neglect, and with less than a 30 percent disability rating, will receive severance pay. 7. Title 38, USC, sections 1110 and 1131, permits the VA to award compensation for a medical condition which was incurred in or aggravated by active military service. The VA, however, is not required by law to determine medical unfitness for further military service. The VA, in accordance with its own policies and regulations, awards compensation solely on the basis that a medical condition exists and that said medical condition reduces or impairs the social or industrial adaptability of the individual concerned. Consequently, due to the two concepts involved, an individual’s medical condition, although not considered medically unfitting for military service at the time of processing for separation, discharge or retirement, may be sufficient to qualify the individual for VA benefits based on an evaluation by that agency. //NOTHING FOLLOWS// ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20180011083 14 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1