IN THE CASE OF: BOARD DATE: 18 November 2021 DOCKET NUMBER: AR20210012675 APPLICANT REQUESTS: correction of her DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) to show her legal first name. APPLICANT'S SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS CONSIDERED BY THE BOARD: DD Form 149 (Application for Correction of Military Record under the Provisions of Title 10, U.S. Code, Section 1552). FACTS: 1. The applicant did not file within the 3-year time frame provided in Title 10, U.S. Code, section 1552(b); however, the Army Board for Correction of Military Records (ABCMR) conducted a substantive review of this case and determined it is in the interest of justice to excuse the applicant's failure to timely file. 2. The applicant states her legal first name is Xa___. Her nickname Xo___ is recorded on her DD Form 214. She would like her DD Form 214 to reflect her legal first name. 3. The applicant completed a DD Form 1966 (Application for Enlistment – Armed Forces of the United States) on 18 October 1977. a. Section I (Personal Data), item 1 (Name – Last, First, Middle (maiden, if any) Jr., Sr., etc.) shows she entered her first name as Xo___. b. Section III (Verification of Personal Data), item 23, instructed: "If Preferred Enlistment Name (name given in block 1(Name)) is not the same as on your birth certificate and has not been changed by legal procedure prescribed by state law, complete the following" and shows she entered in: (1) item 23a (Name as Shown on Birth Certificate), her first name as Xa___ and indicated: "I hereby state that I have not changed my name through any court or other legal procedure; and that I prefer to use the name by which I am known in the community as a matter of convenience and with no criminal or fraudulent intent. I further state that I am the same person as the person as the one whose name is shown in block 1"; and (2) item 23c (Signature of Applicant), her signature by spelling her first name as Xo___. 4. She enlisted in the Regular Army on 21 October 1977. Her DD Form 4 (Enlistment or Reenlistment Agreement – Armed Forces of the United States) shows her first name as Xo___ and her signature by spelling her first name as Xo___. 5. A review of her military records revealed she served under the first name of Xo___ throughout the entire period of her active duty service. 6. She was released from active duty on 14 November 1980. Her DD Form 214 shows her first name as Xo___ and her signature by spelling her first name as Xo___. BOARD DISCUSSION: 1. After reviewing the application and all supporting documents, the Board found relief is warranted. 2. Although the applicant chose to serve under her nickname, the Board noted that the current instructions for preparing the DD Form 214 require that other names of record be entered in the remarks block on the form. The Board determined that, as a matter of equity, it would be appropriate to correct her DD Form 214 by adding her legal name to the remarks block. BOARD VOTE: Mbr 1 Mbr 2 Mbr 3 :XX :XX :XX GRANT FULL RELIEF : : : GRANT PARTIAL RELIEF : : : GRANT FORMAL HEARING : : : DENY APPLICATION BOARD DETERMINATION/RECOMMENDATION: The Board determined the evidence presented is sufficient to warrant a recommendation for relief. As a result, the Board recommends that all Department of the Army records of the individual concerned be corrected by adding to block 18 of her DD Form 214 the entry "Other name of record: [name shown in section III, item 23, of her DD Form 1966]." I certify that herein is recorded the true and complete record of the proceedings of the Army Board for Correction of Military Records in this case. REFERENCES: 1. Title 10, U.S. Code, section 1552(b), provides that applications for correction of military records must be filed within 3 years after discovery of the alleged error or injustice. This provision of law also allows the ABCMR to excuse an applicant's failure to timely file within the 3-year statute of limitations if the ABCMR determines it would be in the interest of justice to do so. 2. Army Regulation 635-5 (Separations Documents), 15 August 1979, prescribed the separation documents prepared for Soldiers upon retirement, discharge, or release from active military service or control of the Army. It established standardized policy for preparation and distribution of the DD Form 214. The DD Form 214 is a synopsis of the Soldier's most recent period of continuous active service. It provides a brief, clear-cut record of active Army service at the time of release from active duty, retirement, or discharge. 3. Army Regulation 635-8 (Separation Processing and Documents), currently in effect, requires that other names of record be entered in block 18 (Remarks) of the DD Form 214. //NOTHING FOLLOWS// ABCMR Record of Proceedings (cont) AR20210012675 3 ARMY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF MILITARY RECORDS RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS 1