DRB 2015-024 Applicable Policy Military Separations Manual: 1.B.17 prescribes standards for processing individuals for Misconduct. Summary of Service/Disciplinary Action A. Age at enlistment in USCG: 18 B. Periods of unauthorized absences: None C. Civil actions: None D. Military Actions: a. Non Judicial Punishment: None b. Court Martial: None E. Highest rating achieved: IT3 F. ASVAB AFQT: 74 G. Active service completed: 6 years, 1 month, 1 day Applicant’s Issues and Documentation Documentation: In addition to the service record, the following additional documentation, submitted by the applicant, was considered: A. DD Form 293 B. Supporting Documentation Issues: The applicant states “Request to have my characterization upgraded to ‘Honorable,’ so that I can receive my GI Bill benefits.” Board’s Discussion and Conclusion DISCUSSION: The applicant was discharged for Misconduct due to Involvement with Drugs in the summer of 2014. During a random urinalysis test, the applicant submitted a sample that resulted in a positive reading for THC. The Board finds no issues with propriety or equity in this case. Coast Guard policy prescribes no higher than a General, Under Honorable Conditions character of service for individuals separated as a result of violating the Coast Guard’s drug policy. Consistent with policy, the Coast Guard has zero tolerance for drug abuse. The General, Under Honorable Conditions discharge is equitable. The applicant has provided no new evidence to refute the reasons leading to the Discharge issued. RECOMMENDATION: The Board members thoroughly reviewed the applicant’s record of service and all available documentation. The Board deemed that the applicant’s character of service, reason for separation, and reenlistment code are appropriate and should not be changed. The applicant has not substantiated any error or inequity. Propriety: Discharge was proper. Equity: Discharge was equitable. Board Conclusion: The Board voted 5-0 to recommend no relief.