DRB 2015-028 Applicable Policy Military Separations Manual: 1.B.17 prescribes standards for processing individuals for Misconduct. Summary of Service/Disciplinary Action A. Age at enlistment in USCG: 18 B. Periods of unauthorized absences: None C. Civil actions: None D. Military Actions: a. Non Judicial Punishment: None b. Court Martial: None E. Highest rating achieved: FS3 F. ASVAB AFQT: 70 G. Active service completed: 04 years, 04 months, 14 days Applicant’s Issues and Documentation Documentation: In addition to the service record, the following additional documentation, submitted by the applicant, was considered: A. DD Form 293 B. Supporting Documentation Issues: The applicant states “I was given a discharge ‘Under Honorable Conditions’, when released from the Coast Guard. I Self Admitted into a Drug Rehab program. I was not under any investigation and up to that point I had a clean record of over 4 years of service with absolutely no Police record or NJP. Under any normal Federal Program, Self admitting for a rehab program should NOT be considered a justification for lowering my Discharge from Honorable to Under Honorable Conditions.” Board’s Discussion and Conclusion DISCUSSION: The applicant was discharged for Misconduct due to Involvement with drugs in early 2014. The applicant submitted a urine sample that resulted in a positive result for Cocaine use. The applicant’s command determined this to be a drug incident. Pursuant to policy, he was recommended for separation due to a drug incident. The Board finds no issues with propriety or equity in this case. The applicant mentions a self admittance into a Drug Rehabilitation program, but the Coast Guard has zero tolerance for illegal drug use. Coast Guard policy prescribes no higher than a General, Under Honorable Conditions character of service for individuals separated as a result of violating the Coast Guard’s drug policy. Consistent with policy, the Coast Guard met the propriety standard to Discharge the applicant for illegal drug use. The General, Under Honorable Conditions discharge is equitable. RECOMMENDATION: The Board members thoroughly reviewed the applicant’s record of service and all available documentation. The Board deemed that the applicant’s character of service, reason for separation, and reenlistment code are appropriate and should not be changed. The applicant has not substantiated any error or inequity. Propriety: Discharge was proper. Equity: Discharge was equitable. Board Conclusion: The Board voted 5-0 to recommend no relief.