DRB 2015-031 Applicable Policy Military Separations Manual: 1.B.17 prescribes standards for processing individuals for Misconduct. Summary of Service/Disciplinary Action A. Age at enlistment in USCG: 20 B. Periods of unauthorized absences: None C. Civil actions: None D. Military Actions: a. Non Judicial Punishment: i. 07/23/2014 1. Art 92, UCMJ: Willfully violated a lawful general order to abstain from consumption of alcohol on 02 June 2014 while attached on TDY orders at TRACEN Yorktown. 2. Art. 112a, UCMJ: Provided urinalysis sample at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth on 03 June 2014 following incident at TRACEN Yorktown on the previous evening. Urinalysis sample tested positive for Tetrahydrocannabinol, better known as THC and commonly associated with marijuana, an illegal controlled substance. 3. Art. 134, UCMJ: Conduct of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces. ii. 03/24/2011 1. ART 92 Failure To Obey Order Or Regulation 2. ART 86 Absence Without Leave (AWOL) 3. ART 134 General Article. The individual failed to be at their appointed place of duty at the time prescribed. The individual was taken into custody by civil authorities for the dates of the 19th, 20th, and 21st of March 2011. b. Court Martial: None F. Highest rating achieved: ET3 G. ASVAB AFQT: 70 H. Active service completed: 6 years, 6 months, 18 days Applicant’s Issues and Documentation Documentation: In addition to the service record, the following additional documentation, submitted by the applicant, was considered: A. DD Form 293 B. Supporting Documentation Issues: The applicant states “I am requesting an upgrade in my discharge status because my incidents are due to a documented substance abuse problem. I had an incident where I sought help, and the second was a relapse.” Board’s Discussion and Conclusion DISCUSSION: The applicant was discharged for Misconduct due to Involvement with Drugs in the summer of 2014. The appeared telephonically before the Board to speak about the discharge; No new evidence was provided to refute the illegal drug use. The applicant had previously admitted to using drugs and had a positive urinalysis result after an alcohol-related arrest while on temporary duty at “A” school. The Board finds no issues with propriety or equity in this case. The applicant was notified of the intent to discharge, and the applicant was advised of the right to an attorney. The applicant waived the statement option and did NOT object to discharge. Coast Guard policy prescribes no higher than a General, Under Honorable Conditions character of service for individuals separated as a result of violating the Coast Guard’s drug policy. Consistent with policy, the Coast Guard has zero tolerance for drug abuse. The General, Under Honorable Conditions discharge is equitable. RECOMMENDATION: The Board members thoroughly reviewed the applicant’s record of service and all available documentation. The Board deemed that the applicant’s character of service, reason for separation, and reenlistment code are appropriate and should not be changed. The applicant has not substantiated any error or inequity. Propriety: Discharge was proper. Equity: Discharge was equitable. Board Conclusion: The Board voted 5-0 to recommend no relief.