DRB 2015-032 Applicable Policy Military Separations Manual: 1.B.17 (previously Personnel Manual COMDTINST M1000.6A ART 12-B-4), prescribes standards for processing individuals for Misconduct. Summary of Service/Disciplinary Action A. DOB: 6/9/1985 B. Age at enlistment in USCG: 20 C. Periods of unauthorized absences: None D. Civil actions: None E. Military Actions: a. Non Judicial Punishment: None b. Court Martial: None F. Highest rating achieved: ET3 G. ASVAB AFQT: 56 H. Active service completed: 3 years, 9 months, 17 days Applicant’s Issues and Documentation Documentation: In addition to the service record, the following additional documentation, submitted by the applicant, was considered: A. DD Form 293 B. Supporting Documentation Issues: The applicant states “I’m respectfully requesting an upgrade to ‘Honorable’ discharge from the U.S. Coast Guard. I would like to be able to utilize the GI Bill that I paid into and go to college. I made a youthful mistake which I regret wholeheartedly, and if I could do it over again I would not repeat my actions.” Board’s Discussion and Conclusion DISCUSSION: The applicant was discharged for Misconduct due to Involvement with drugs in the summer of 2009. The applicant had a positive urinalysis result during a random unit drug test. The applicant’s command determined this to be a drug incident. Pursuant to policy, he was recommended for separation due to a drug incident. The Board finds no issues with propriety or equity in this case. The applicant spoke before the Board telephonically, but no new evidence was brought forth to refute the incident leading to the Discharge. Prior to the Discharge, the applicant was notified of the intent to discharge, and the applicant was advised of the rights to an attorney. The applicant did not object to discharge. Coast Guard policy prescribes no higher than a General, Under Honorable Conditions character of service for individuals separated as a result of violating the Coast Guard’s drug policy. The Coast Guard has zero tolerance for drug abuse. The General, Under Honorable Conditions discharge is equitable. RECOMMENDATION: The Board members thoroughly reviewed the applicant’s record of service and all available documentation2. The Board deemed that the applicant’s character of service, reason for separation, and reenlistment code are appropriate and should not be changed. The applicant has not substantiated any error or inequity.3 Propriety: Discharge was proper. Equity: Discharge was equitable. Board Conclusion: The Board voted 5-0 to recommend no relief.