DRB 2015-039 Applicable Policy Military Separations Manual: 1.B.17 (previously Personnel Manual COMDTINST M1000.4 ART: 1.B.17), prescribes standards for processing individuals for Misconduct. Summary of Service/Disciplinary Action A. DOB: 9/28/1990 B. Age at enlistment in USCG: 18 C. Periods of unauthorized absences: None D. Civil actions: None E. Military Actions: a. Non Judicial Punishment: None b. Court Martial: None i. 08/08/2013 1. Article 77: On or about March 10, 2013, aided and abetted to commit the offense of wrongful possession and use of marijuana, a Schedule 1 controlled substance, a violation of Article 112a, by calling a third party source to arrange the purchase of marijuana. 2. Article 83: On or about 11 August 2009, by means of knowingly false representation that they had not tried, used or possessed marijuana, when in fact they had tried, used, or possessed marijuana, procured themself to be enlisted as a seaman recruit, in the United States Coast Guard, and did thereafter, receive pay and allowances under the enlistment so procured. ii. 01/30/2013 1. Violation of Article 92, UCMJ: Violation of or failure to obey a lawful general order or regulation. F. Highest rating achieved: DC3 G. ASVAB AFQT: 78 H. Active service completed: 4 years, 6 months Applicant’s Issues and Documentation Documentation: In addition to the service record, the following additional documentation, submitted by the applicant, was considered: A. DD Form 293 B. Supporting Documentation Issues: The applicant states “I am requesting a change to my discharge to ‘Honorable’ for two reasons. I am wanting to go to college and get a degree in Criminal Justice so that I may become a police officer. I would like to use the GI Bill to pay for college.” Board’s Discussion and Conclusion DISCUSSION: The applicant was discharged for Misconduct in early 2014. Twice within calendar year 2013, the applicant went before Summary Court Martial proceedings which involved possession of illegal drugs and large misuse and debt accrued on their government travel card. The applicant was found guilty of all offenses and was processed for discharge thereafter. The Board finds no issues with propriety or equity in this case. The applicant was notified of the intent to discharge, and the applicant was advised of the rights to an attorney. The applicant made a statement and objected to discharge. The Board does recommend that an administrative correction is made to the character of service listed in Block 24 of the applicant’s DD-214. Per previous policy issued in ALCOAST 562/08, a General discharge is no longer considered an official character of service. Therefore, the board recommends amending Block 24 to an Under Honorable Conditions character of service. The cause for the error was due to the Direct Access upgrade to the 9.1 version at the start of the calendar year 2015, in which the programmers listed General vice Under Honorable Conditions as an option for Block 24. The list of entries for Block 24 has since been corrected and reprogrammed by COMDT (CG-631) for all future discharges. RECOMMENDATION: The Board members thoroughly reviewed the applicant’s record of service and all available documentation. The Board deemed that the reason for separation and reenlistment code are appropriate and should not be changed. The applicant has not substantiated any error or inequity. Propriety: Discharge was proper. Equity: Discharge was equitable. Board Conclusion: The Board voted 5-0 to recommend no relief other than an administrative change to Under Honorable Conditions.