DRB 2015-043 **Applicable Policy** Military Separations Manual: (previously Personnel Manual COMDTINST M1000.6A 12.B.12), prescribes standards for processing individuals for Weight Control Failure. **Summary of Service/Disciplinary Action** A. Age at enlistment in USCG: 21 B. Periods of unauthorized absences: None C. Civil actions: None **Military Actions:** a. **Non-Judicial Punishment:** None b. **Court Martial:** None D. Highest rating achieved: MK2 E. ASVAB AFQT: 71 F. Active service completed: 8 years, 7 months, 29 days **Applicant’s Issues and Documentation** Documentation: In addition to the service record, the following additional documentation, submitted by the applicant, was considered: A. DD Form 293 B. Supporting Documentation Issues: The applicant states “I am requesting a change or upgrade to my ‘Reentry’ code from RE4 to something more reasonable. I am trying to regain entry into some form of reserve service either in the Coast Guard or another branch of the armed services. I believe there may have been a clerical error made at the processing center with my DD-214.” **Board’s Discussion and Conclusion** **DISCUSSION:** The applicant was discharged for Weight Control Failure in late 2010. The Board has carefully reviewed the basis for the applicant’s discharge and has no issues with the propriety standard in this case. The applicant is not challenging the means for discharge but is disputing the Reenlistment code issued as an RE4. The Board notes that an Honorable discharge was issued, but the DD-214 does read RE-4 in Block 27. Normally, these are RE-3F issued unless accompanied by other adverse behavior or actions. The applicant’s performance evaluation history has no discipline entries and no other negative documentation to support the RE4. The applicant did NOT object to Discharge upon command’s notification. The Board recommends relief to the Reenlistment code of RE3F to be aligned with the standard code issued for Weight Control Failure. An RE3 reentry code is not an affirmative recommendation for reenlistment, rather it represents that the applicant is not recommended for reenlistment due to a disqualifying factor. The RE3 code may be waived based upon the policies and needs of the gaining Service. **RECOMMENDATION:** The Board members thoroughly reviewed the applicant’s record of service and all available documentation. The Board deemed that the applicant’s character of service and reason for separation are appropriate and should not be changed. The Board does recommend relief to the Reenlistment code to RE3F. - Propriety: Discharge was proper. - Equity: Discharge was NOT equitable. - Board Conclusion: The Board voted 5-0 to recommend relief to RE-3F. All other items stand as issued.