UNITED STATES COAST GUARD DISCHARGE REVIEW BOARD Docket #: 2018-039 Discharge Issued Character: Under Honorable Conditions Narrative Reason: MISCONDUCT SPD/RE Code: JKK/RE4 Authority of Discharge: COMDTINST Ml000.4, 1.B.17 Date of Separation: 5/21/2018 DRB Decision Character: No Change Narrative Reason: NO CHANGE SPD/RE Code: NO CHANGE/NO CHANGE New Authority: NO CHANGE Discharge Review Board Discussion and Decision: The applicant appeared telephonically before the Board. After a brief introduction and explanation of the DRB Proceedings the Board President confirmed with them that they are requesting to upgrade Block 24, the Character of Service, on the DD-214 from "Under Honorable Conditions" to "Honorable" and the response given was yes. The applicant was sworn-in by the recorder and made a statement. During the statement to the Board they started off by apologizing to the DRB for the circumstances that surrounded their discharge. The applicant then discussed the process leading up to the discharge process stating that the CGIS Investigation went too deep into their personal affairs. Additionally, while on duty they felt that the investigation caused a struggle with them and their command because of the changes in the way they were looked at and perceived. The applicant was asked if there were any additional statements that the applicant wanted to make on their behalf and they answered no. The Board asked the following questions: Did you understand the discharge process and they type of discharge that you received? Applicant Response: YES, I agree that I understood the process and what I received for a discharge. Were you afforded an opportunity to submit a statement on your behalf prior to being discharged? Applicant Response: YES, I was asked if l wanted to make a statement on my behalf. Did you make a statement? Applicant Response: NO -I chose not to give one BOARD DISCUSSION: The Board deliberated the case and thoroughly reviewed all of the documentation including the applicant's statement that was provided as well as any paperwork that was in the PDR including the Discharge Package. A discussion also took place about the process in which a member involved in a drug incident will be processed for discharge. The reference, COMDTINST Ml000.4 l.B.17.b (4), states that any member involved in a drug incident or illegal, wrongful, or improper sale, transfer, manufacture, or introduction onto a military installation of any drug, as defined in Chapter 7 of the Military Drug and Alcohol Policy, COMDTINST Ml000.10 (series), will be processed for separation from the Coast Guard with no higher than a general discharge (under honorable conditions). Additionally, the SPD handbook prescribes an RE Code ofRE-4 for an SPD Code of JKK. The Board finds no issues with propriety or equity in this case. RECOMMENDATION: The Board members thoroughly reviewed the applicant's record of service and all available documentation. The Board deemed that the applicant's character of service, reason for separation and reenlistment code are appropriate and should not be changed. The applicant has not substantiated any error or inequity. Propriety: Discharge was proper. Equity: Discharge was equitable. Board Conclusion: recommend no relief. Administrative Correction: The Board does recommend an administrative correction to Block 24 of the DD-214 for character of service to be administratively corrected from Under Honorable Conditions to Under Honorable Conditions (General). IAW ALCOAST 562/08 the DD Form 214 is issued in accordance with the guidance and instructions contained in this instruction and Do DI 1336.01 and General is not a valid character of service. 2 In reviewing discharges, the Board presumes regularity in the conduct of governmental affairs unless there is substantial credible evidence (to include evidence submitted by the Applicant) to rebut the presumption.