DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF NAVAL RECORDS 701 S. COURTHOUSE ROAD, SUITE 1001 ARLINGTON. VA 22204-2490 Docket No. 1249-16 JAN 25 2017 Dear This is in reference to your application for correction ofyour naval record pursuant to the provisions of 10 USC 1552. A three-member panel ofthe Board for Correction ofNaval Records, sitting in executive session, considered your application on 23 September 2016. The names and votes of the members ofthe panel will be furnished upon request. Your allegations oferror and injustice were reviewed in accordance with administrative regulations and procedures applicable to the proceedings ofthis Board. Documentary material considered by the Board consisted of your application, together with all material submitted in support thereof, your naval record and applicable statutes, regulations and policies. After careful and conscientious consideration ofthe entire record, the Board found that the evidence submitted was insufficient to establish the existence ofprobable material error or injustice. You enlisted in the United States Navy and began a period of active duty on 9 September 1985. Between the periods of 14 September 1985 and 2 August 1993, you were given a total offive counseling and warning for failure to demonstrate the requirements for fourth class swimmer, drunk and disorderly, resisting apprehension, assault and using vulgar language, failure to demonstrate proper respect towards commissioned officers, driving under the influence, and failing to provide adequate family support. Between the periods of8 December 1987 and 8 October 1993, you received five separate nonjudicial punishments (NJP) for offenses including unauthorized absence (UA) twice, drunk and disorderly, resisting apprehension, assault, inflammatory language, disrespect to a superior commissioned officer, and failure to obey order or regulation. On 8 October 1993, at your NJP hearing for another UA, your Commanding Officer vacated your reduction in rate to E-4 he suspended at your NJP held on 20 August 1993, and subsequently awarded you 30 days restriction, and a suspended reduction in rate to E-3. Later that same day, you broke restriction and were declared a deserter. On 8 November 1993, deserter message was released. On 7 February 1994, you surrendered yourself over to military authorities to terminate your UA status. On 8 February 1994, your Commanding Officer vacated your suspended reduction in rate to E-3. On 6 April 1994, you were convicted by a special court-martial (SPCM) for the offenses of UA and breaking restriction. On 7 July 1994, your Commanding Officer notified you that you were being considered for an administrative separation by reason ofmisconduct due to the commission of a serious offense and a pattern ofmisconduct. On 13 July 1994, you signed your statement ofawareness acknowledging that you had consulted with counsel and requested an administrative discharge board (ADB). The ADB recommended found that you committed misconduct and that you be separated with an other than honorable discharge (OTH). The Commanding Officer concurred with the ADB and recommended an OTH discharge. On 21 December 1994 you were discharged with an under OTH characterization ofservice. The Board, in its review ofyobr record and application, carefully weighed all potentially mitigating factors, such as your contention that "I met my wife who is from the Philippines. We had our daughter, before we were married. Our marriage had some difficulties ...That's when personal issues with myself and the military started. I started losing focus due to the stress ofraising a child at a young age and being deployed and dealing with immigration and visa for my soon to be wife .. .I feel based on evidence provided and enclosed my discharge was inequitable and improper." However, the Board concluded that these factors were not sufficient to warrant recharacterization ofyour discharge given the cumulative seriousness ofyour pattern ofmisconduct which culminated in a SPCM conviction. The Board determined that to recharacterize your service to honorable would be a disservice to those who have served honorably and completed their enlistments without any disciplinary actions. The Board further found that you had the opportunity during your ADB to present any evidence you had to negate the basis ofdischarge and to also argue for retention and/or a more favorable characterization of discharge at that time. Accordingly, your application has been denied. It is regretted that the circumstances ofyour case are such that favorable action cannot be taken. You are entitled to have the Board reconsider its decision upon submission ofnew evidence within one year from the date ofthe Board's decision. New evidence is evidence not previously considered by the Board prior to making its decision in this case. In this regard, it is important to keep in mind that a presumption ofregularity attaches to all official records. Consequently, when applying for a correction ofan official naval record, the burden is on the applicant to demonstrate the existence ofprobable material error or injustice. Sincerely, Executive Director