DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF NAVAL RECORDS 701 S. COURTHOUSE ROAD, SUITE 1001 ARLINGTON, VA 22204-2490 Docket No. 1543-16 DEC 15 2016 Dear : This is in reference to your application for correction ofyour naval record pursuant to the provisions of 10 USC 1552. Although your application was not filed in a timely manner, the Board found it in the interest of justice to waive the statute oflimitations and consider your case on its merits. A three-member panel ofthe Board for Correction ofNaval Records, sitting in executive session, considered your application on29 July 2016. The names and votes of the members ofthe panel will be furnished upon request. Your allegations oferror and injustice were reviewed in accordance with ac1.ministrative regulations and procedures applicable to the proceedingsˇof this Board.ˇ Documentary material considered by the Board consistedˇ ofyour application, together with all material submitted in support thereof, your naval record and applicable statutes, regulations and policies. After careful and conscientious consideration ofthe entire record, the Board found that the evidence submitted was insufficient to establish the existence ofprobable material error or injustice. You enlisted in the United States Marine Corps and began a period of active duty on 24 August 1999. You served for four months without any disciplinary incident, until 25 December 1999 when you began a 459-dayperiod ofunauthorized absence (UA), until you were apprehended on 28 March 2001. On 23 April 2001, you submitted a written request for separation in lieu oftrial by court-martial. Prior to submitting this request you conferred with a qualified military lawyer at which time you were advised ofyour rights and warned ofthe probable adverse consequences ofaccepting such a discharge. Subsequently, your request was granted and the commanding officer directed your other than honorable discharge. Your application claims that "I was offered a SILK [SIC] Package ifl chose to reenlist that would have given me an honorable discharge when I completed my 4 year enlistment. Circumstances did not allow me to reenlist but I would never have been offered the SILK [SIC] Package was not a value. You have failed to provide any proof that you were miscounseled or regarding a reenlistment, or any proof that you were miscounseled regarding the type of discharge you were given. As a result of your request for separation in lieu oftrial by court-martial, you were spared the stigma ofa court-martial conviction and the potential penalties of a punitive discharge and the possibility ofconfinement for six months. On 18 May 2001, you were discharged under other than honorable conditions. The Board, in its review ofyour entire record and application, carefully weighed all potentially mitigating factors. However, the Board determined that these factors were not sufficient enough to warrant relief in your case because of the seriousness ofyour misconduct. Furthermore, the Board found that you received the benefit ofyour bargain with the Marine Corps when your request for discharge was granted and you should not be permitted to change it now. Finally, the Board concluded that the lost time ofmore than fifteen months does not constitute service under honorable conditions. The Board determined that to recharacterize your service to honorable would be unjust and do a disservice to those who have served honorably and completed their enlistments without any disciplinary actions. Accordingly, your application has been denied. It is regretted that the circumstances ofyour case are such that favorable action cannot be taken. You are entitled to have the Board reconsider its decision upon submission ofnew evidence within one year from the date ofthe Board's decision. New evidence is evidence not previously considered by the Board prior to making its decision in this case. In this regard, it is important to keep in mind that a presumption ofregularity attaches to all official records. Consequently, when applying for a correction ofan official naval record, the burden is on the applicant to demonstrate the existence ofprobable material error or injustice. Sincerely, Executive Director