DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY BOARD FOR CORRECTION OF NAVAL RECORDS 701 S. COURTHOUSE ROAD, SUITE 1001 ARLINGTON, VA 22204-2490 Docket No: 8115-19 Ref: Signature Date From: Chairman, Board for Correction of Naval Records To: Secretary of the Navy Ref: (a) 10 U.S.C. § 1552 Encl: (1) DD Form 149 1. Pursuant to the provisions of the reference, Petitioner, a former enlisted Sailor, filed the enclosure with the Board for Correction of Naval Records (Board), requesting “USS ” be added to his honorable discharge certificate, and to change his rank to Fireman First Class on his DD Form 214. 2. The Board, consisting of , reviewed Petitioner’s allegations of error and injustice on 2 December 2019 and, pursuant to its regulations, determined that the corrective action indicated below should be taken on the available evidence of record. Documentary material considered by the Board consisted of the enclosure, relevant portions of the Petitioner’s naval records, and applicable statutes, regulations, and policies. 3. The Board, having reviewed all the facts of record pertaining to Petitioner’s allegations of error and injustice, finds as follows: a. Before applying to this Board, Petitioner exhausted all administrative remedies available under existing law and regulations within the Department of the Navy. b. Petitioner enlisted in the Navy and began a period of active duty on 25 June 1946. On 23 June 1947, Petitioner completed Fireman First Class training course with a final mark of 2.8. On 24 June 1947, Petitioner received non-judicial punishment (NJP) for shirking duty, disobedience of orders, and improper possession of government stores and was awarded one week deprivation of liberty and three months’ probation. On 3 November 1947, Petitioner completed his progress test for Fireman First Class with a final mark of 3.49. On 18 November 1947, a notation was made on Petitioner’s Report of Examination for Advancement or Change in Rating that reads: “Not advanced because of CO’s Mast.” On 23 April 1948, petitioner was discharged with an honorable characterization of service. c. Petitioner asserts his rank when he was discharged was Fireman First Class because he completed the training and passed the test with mark of 3.8. Petitioner claims “I am listed as a Fireman Apprentice which I do not believe to be accurate. I completed my apprenticeship and feel that my record needs to be changed to reflect that.” Additionally, Petitioner claims “All my other ships are listed on my DD 214 so Iwould like USS to be added.” d. The Board noted that Petitioner’s service aboard was missing from page 2 of his honorable discharge certificate under vessels and stations served on. The Board noted that although Petitioner completed his training course and passed the test, documentation in his record refutes the contention that he was promoted to Fireman First Class. CONCLUSION Upon review and consideration of all the evidence of record, the Board finds the existence of an error warranting relief, namely that all vessels that were served on should be listed on the honorable discharge certificate. The Board also concluded that there was no error or injustice in his rank on the date of discharge. RECOMMENDATION In view of the above, the Board directs the following corrective action: Petitioner’s naval record be corrected by adding to page 2, honorable discharge certificate under “vessel and stations served on.” Petitioner be issued a new honorable discharge certificate. That no further action be granted. A copy of this report of proceedings be filed in Petitioner’s naval record. 4. It is certified that a quorum was present at the Board’s review and deliberations, and that the foregoing is a trueand complete record of the Board’s proceedings in the above-entitled matter. 5. Pursuant to the delegation of authority set out in Section 6(e) of the revised Procedures of the Board for Correction of Naval Records (32 Code of Federal Regulations Section 723.6(e)), and having assured compliance with its provisions, it is hereby announced that the foregoing corrective action, taken under the authority of the reference, has been approved by the Board on behalf of the Secretary of the Navy.